Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

the be all end all video game thread

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by hawt, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Volo

Volo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I typed "local saskatoon game stores" into Google and it came up with a bunch of local shops in my area, including the one I always shop at. Might work for you.

On another note, this blog is sweet. A great mix of gaming and philosophy.

<a class="postlink" href="http://onlyagame.typepad.com/only_a_game/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://onlyagame.typepad.com/only_a_game/</a>

2. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Considering that the Xbox 360's GPU is effectively a hacked up Radeon X1950 GT, and quad-core processors aren't exactly super-premium technology any more, I don't think it's really a struggle to get hardware manufacturers to repurpose hardware for them like Nintendo and Microsoft have done for the past two generations.

3. WickedBitch

WickedBitch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not that I know of, though that would be a neat idea. The smaller stores usually have some sort of disc repair machine too (mine does).

4. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

Furthermore, hardware's always been overrated when it comes to console success. Remember back in the 90s when the Jaguar and 3DO were among the two most powerful systems and kicked everyone's ass? Oh wait, that's not what happened at all - they were miserable failures because they didn't have a library of good games to back them up. Games > Hardware is always the right formula.

5. silway

silway
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I tend to agree, though this current generation of consoles somewhat stretches that concept to the extent that the blu-ray player in the PS3 was not an insignificant factor in my choosing to buy it over the competition. So hardware is, I think, becoming more important as consumers like to see easy integration of multiple devices into one box, but overall the point is still valid that a good library of games is still the more primary factor for people buying a console primarily to play games on.

6. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Although in the case of the Jaguar it had a cripplingly bad controller.

7. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Hide your kids, hide your wife:

8. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

On a personal level, I agree, but that's just not the way the larger market reacts. Nowadays, "next gen" systems sell like fucking hotcakes regardless of whether they have any actual good games on them or not. (cough Wii cough)

Jaguar and 3DO are poor examples, since they didn't take advantage of their powerful engines at all, and graphically, they were often the same as or even worse than their more successful competitors. That's in addition to a whole plethora of other problems those systems have that are irrelevant to Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft today.

9. magz

magz
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Honest question about that survey. There are what, 75-77 million PSN accounts? Obviously a lot of people have multiple accounts (myself included), but that is still a really large user base. My math is probably off, but doesn't that survey work out to 183 people out of 874 PS3 owners polled considered defecting? That seems like a REALLY small sample size.

That being said, if I hadn't wasted a ton of money at the bar last weekend, I probably would have gone to my local Target or Best Buy and bought a 360. To me it's not even that Sony was compromised, it's just the way that they handled the whole situation.

That's just me though.

10. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If I was their CEO, I'd be making personal, daily updates addressing the community, keeping them aware of any progress being made. Nothing specific, necessarily, lest any hackers use that information maliciously. But some kind of regular correspondence would be nice, just to show that you give a fuck. That last update that someone linked a couple days ago was pathetic, coming from a company as prominent as Sony.

11. WickedBitch

WickedBitch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Motherfuck!

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/fear-3/news.html?sid=6310445&tag=newsfeatures%3Btitle%3B1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/fear ... Btitle%3B1</a>

This does not bode well.

12. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Having been a complete die hard Sony fan since the release of the first playstation Id have to say the ONLY thing that would have me seriously consider switching is if my credit card information is actually used for fraud. Despite the fact that they must have hired the same public relations company Facebook did, Sony has delivered countless hours of entertainment. Shit Ive been without the system for going on 10 months and I am still on here talking about games I look forward to playing when I get back. I have a feeling most people who end up switching are just jonesing for online play again and don't want to wait instead of die hard fans that have had their allegiance broken. If no one has hundreds of dollars charged to the fleshlight website give it a month after PSN is back up and no one will give a fuck, though a new standard of protection and stability will be implicitly implied. I wonder if Sony will bite the bullet and make a fee based system for their next gen console or if they'll stick to their guns.

13. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

... You guys realize you can call your credit card companies and have them issue you new cards for free, right?

14. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Hoo boy... So much for that whole "encrypted" credit card database.

15. Thorgouge

Thorgouge
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

There is still a possibility that his credit info was stolen through some other means and not from the PSN hack incident. I'm not saying it didn't happen because of that, but you can't rule out the possibility. Afterall, this shit happens to people all the time and there are millions of PSN users. Now, if a fuckton of people who have entered there credit info into the PSN that get unauthorized charges, then that's another story.

16. FreeCorps

FreeCorps
    Expand Collapse
    #1 Internet Boo

Well, I still dust off my Wii from time to time, but it's only to play the Virtual Console. I love me some Castlevania IV and lately I've been killing time with Ogre Battle: MotBQ and Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV. Also, I'm holding out for XenoBlade and The Last Story to get released in the US.

17. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

CrosscounterTV is a series/site featuring Gootecks and Mike Ross, two "pro" Street Fighter players from South California, as they discuss various fighting game news, go over tournaments, and in some cases, play Street Fighter, Marvel, and now Mortal Kombat online.

Suffice to say, their foray into the online MK world was a unique and funny one;

Amazing that a game with so much hype in 2011 has such shit netcode.

#2237 KIMaster, Apr 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  18. Diablo

Diablo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Gotta sidetrack the MK talk for some more LoL rambling. I just won a random 4v5 game where I was on the 4 person team. Ended the game with like 15/2/15 as Poppy. They just didn't know what they were doing or who to attack first. We focused them down each engagement at a time, especially when they were killing Baron as a last ditch effort and we jumped them. Unfortunately I was the only one from my team to get killed that time, but I got a triple kill out of it at least, then we went and steamrolled their base. It was great, teamwork at its finest.

19. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Does anyone here play MLB 2K11? I borrowed it from a friend of mine, and I'm loving this "My Player" stuff. It's infinitely better than the shitty "My Player" feature in the NBA 2K games, namely because the skill curve isn't so goddamned steep, and you get rewarded properly for your play. I'm not sure if it's different for position players, but I've been having a blast with the pitching. The stuff with the analog sticks is nuts. 12-6 curves are hard as fuck to throw, but boy are they effective when done right.

20. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

PSN games will be back online within a week; PlayStation Store will be back within a month. It will also come with a firmware update that requires users to reset their PSN passwords.

They're also talking about giving users a free month of the PlayStation Plus service, which really doesn't mean much, and a bunch of free media downloads, which will probably amount to a bunch of avatars and wallpapers. Considering how long the network has been down, that doesn't seem like much of a 'welcome back' deal.

Honestly, though, I don't know what they could do to make it up. Credit every account $20 or something? Half price downloads?

Edit: So many typos.