Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

the be all end all video game thread

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by hawt, Oct 19, 2009.

1. mekka

mekka
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Poor Sony. Nintendo just announced their successor to the Wii, which is apparently going to be "significantly more powerful than the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3".

Sony botched the launch of the PS3, and if the next generation is as close as Nintendo would like it to be, then they could be in some trouble. I've heard the network could be down for up to a month if they are completely redesigning PSN from scratch, and people aren't likely going to forget that if they have to pick between a new generation of consoles.

Another topic: the next generation of consoles. I'm a little bit wary of a new generation dropping now. We're still a ways off from having photorealism, but at this point the idea of a console being simply about the graphics is going to go out the window since everything looks awesome due to the advent of HD and the improvements are going to be smaller and smaller. I suppose 3D gaming could be the next big frontier, but I'm not even sold on 3D movies, let alone games. What other features does everyone else want to see incorporated into the new wave of systems? Do you want to just focus on churning out the best graphics possible, or are there other things that no console has done that you look forward to seeing?

2. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm not sure it is time for Sony or Microsoft to upgrade, honestly. Both systems have limitations, but at the same time they're still coming out with beautiful, excellent games. Sony is also able to play 3D games, so they really don't need to upgrade at the moment.

Nintendo, on the other hand, does need to upgrade. The Wii, while a nice little system for new gamers, isn't even technically HD. Graphically it is WAY behind the other two systems. Their internal hard drive and online systems can't even come close to competing with the 360 or PS3, and part of the reason the PS3 sells so well is that it is a high-end Blu-Ray player. If Nintendo is smart, they'll keep the things that make the Wii work, like the easy accessibility for casual gamers, while adding things like a large internal hard drive and a real online community that can compete with PSN and Xbox Live. Finally, Nintendo really makes most of its money off of its primary titles, like Mario, Metroid, Zelda, Donkey Kong, etc... and they've already released a lot of those games on the Wii. They don't need a new Super Smash Brothers on the Wii, or a new Mario Kart. However, if they release a new system, they can also release a new Smash Brothers, a new Mario Kart, a new sports game, about eighty million new Mario titles. They can also make everyone who downloaded classic games via their Wii re-download them via their new systems, making even more money.

My real hope is that Nintendo announcing a new system doesn't spook Sony or Microsoft into freaking out and rushing their next-gen systems.

3. mekka

mekka
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Received this rep from our petulant friend KIMaster:
    To clarify, I'm not saying I think Nintendo is going to try and compete on the hardware front, since they made it clear long ago that they didn't want to do that. I'm just curious about what direction they will take, particularly since they boasted in the article that it WOULD be significantly more powerful than what PS3 and 360 have in them. Obviously the idea that we're years removed from the release of the current gen systems works in favor of Nintendo if they want to just make a hardware powerhouse, but like someone else said above, I hope Sony and MS don't try to throw something out the door just to have another presence in the marketplace. There's no real advancements they can make at this point, and doing so would be pointless...barring of course some huge technological revolution they've got going on that nobody else knows about.

Also, they've been saying stuff about having a 6" touch screen on the controller of this new system. I've never really used a Nintendo DS, but the whole idea seemed kind of annoying to me. Is there any way they can really incorporate something like that into games that make it significantly better than the "standard" controllers we see now?

4. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Heh, do you really want me to share all the crazy, page-long homoerotic fantasy private messages and reps you keep sending me?

That aside, either Nintendo's replacement is many years away, or it won't be more powerful than the XBox360 or PS3 in any meaningful way. I think it's just a pure PR quote, which shouldn't be taken seriously.

5. Macgruber

Macgruber
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Weird, an actual update from the PlayStation Blog today for those of you not checking it as much as I am (hourly).

For those that don't want to read the whole thing, basically every piece of information you've given Sony in regards to your PSN account "may" have been stolen, including, possibly, credit card information.

It took them six fucking days to tell 75 million people our personal information may have been stolen? Deplorable.

6. Pato

Pato
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Shit has officially hit the fan.

Spoilered for length;
    Valued PlayStation Network/Qriocity Customer,

We have discovered that between April 17 and April 19, 2011, certain PlayStation Network and Qriocity service user account information was compromised in connection with an illegal and unauthorized intrusion into our network. In response to this intrusion, we have:

1) Temporarily turned off PlayStation Network and Qriocity services;

2) Engaged an outside, recognized security firm to conduct a full and complete investigation into what happened; and

3) Quickly taken steps to enhance security and strengthen our network infrastructure by re-building our system to provide you with greater protection of your personal information.

We greatly appreciate your patience, understanding and goodwill as we do whatever it takes to resolve these issues as quickly and efficiently as practicable.

Although we are still investigating the details of this incident, we believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following information that you provided: name, address (city, state/province, zip or postal code), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity passwords and login, and handle/PSN online ID. It is also possible that your profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may have been obtained. If you have authorized a sub-account for your dependent, the same data with respect to your dependent may have been obtained. While there is no evidence that credit card data was taken at this time, we cannot rule out the possibility. If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, to be on the safe side we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may also have been obtained.

For your security, we encourage you to be especially aware of email, telephone, and postal mail scams that ask for personal or sensitive information. Sony will not contact you in any way, including by email, asking for your credit card number, social security, tax identification or similar number or other personally identifiable information. If you are asked for this information, you can be confident Sony is not the entity asking. When the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services are fully restored, we strongly recommend that you log on and change your password. Additionally, if you use your PlayStation Network or Qriocity user name or password for other unrelated services or accounts, we strongly recommend that you change them, as well.

To protect against possible identity theft or other financial loss, we encourage you to remain vigilant to review your account statements and to monitor your credit or similar types of reports.

We thank you for your patience as we complete our investigation of this incident, and we regret any inconvenience. Our teams are working around the clock on this, and services will be restored as soon as possible. Sony takes information protection very seriously and will continue to work to ensure that additional measures are taken to protect personally identifiable information. Providing quality and secure entertainment services to our customers is our utmost priority. Please check <a class="postlink" href="http://www.eu.playstation.com/psnoutage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.eu.playstation.com/psnoutage</a> should you have any additional questions.

Sincerely,

Sony Network Entertainment and Sony Computer Entertainment Teams
    Sony Network Entertainment Europe Limited (formerly known as PlayStation Network Europe Limited) is a subsidiary of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Limited the data controller for PlayStation Network/Qriocity personal data.

Awesome. Oh what's that, you say? There's more?

Well, isn't that just dandy. What I can appreciate the most is the fact the 'external intrusion' happened on April 17th and they only happen to mention it on April 26th. Way to go, guys.

I think this may be the proverbial iceberg to sink the Titanic. Or maybe I'm just talking out of my ass out of pure frustration. Whatever.

7. magz

magz
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

And this is exactly the reason why I (along with most people I assume) am so pissed. Sony could of at least thrown the user base a bone after the network was brought down. "Our network appears to have been breached, and we are unsure if customers' personal information, including credit card information, was compromised. We will update this blog as developments continue." How fucking hard is that? That at least gives people the chance to change email passwords or any other credentials that may have been saved, to monitor their CC, and to at least be on alert for suspicious activity like SPAM or phishing emails claiming to be from Sony. Pretty standard, common sense shit.

Coming from Sony though, I am not surprised. This is the same company that installed rootkits on audio CDs back in the day and originally sold the PS3 with the "Other OSs" option enabled, only to pull the plug and neuter the consoles after people had already bought PS3s for the ability to run Linux on it. And to be honest, I wouldn't doubt if the latter was the source of Sony's attack. The timing just makes sense. The PS3's master (hard coded) key is reverse-engineered after the "Other OSs" option is pulled out of the blue. Sony throws the book at the guy who published the key, THEN tries to get IP info from YouTube on every single person that visited the guy's YT page under the name of the DMCA. Lawsuits are filed. A highly technical home brew enthusiast user base becomes pissed at Sony's heavy-handed tactics, and shortly after the entire PSN is brought down for a week after a MASSIVE intrusion with no real end in sight. Oh yeah, over Easter weekend too, when multiple major releases (Portal 2, etc.) were released. I mean, the entire fucking network has to be re-engineered! I'd say it's a joke, but the real joke is on all of us suckers that bought PS3s since we've been left holding our dicks for a week now.

Can't say I'm surprised.

8. palmettosc

palmettosc
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I mean this to be a serious question and not a cheap shot. Why are you so opinionated and self righteous about console video games when you post in another thread that you haven't owned a tv in 7 years? Even if you're playing often on friend's consoles, you most likely aren't as informed as people who play them everyday.

9. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Especially since you can't, you know, login to PSN and remove your fucking CC information. I'm totally going to enjoy going through my online bank statement from over a week ago until Sony gets their heads removed from their asses. It isn't as if I don't use my debit card for every single purchase I make.

I'm pretty sure KIMaster lives in a bunker in Idaho with every piece of electronic media ever created with a 3 page diatribe taped to each VHS, DVD, and cartridge on how much it sucks and how it doesn't compare to <insert self-fellating Korean/French movie/Hideo Kojima game here>. Careful if you post something that he doesn't agree with, otherwise he'll let you know with a sternly worded rep point on an internet forum less than 4000 people have registered on. Of those 4000 people, it seems like only 100 do any real posting.

10. Macgruber

Macgruber
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

PlayStation has released a FAQ about the outage.

I get the feeling they're taking this investigation really, really seriously, and they really want to make sure I know how seriously they're taking it.

Awesome. Super helpful.

11. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What's so opinionated and self righteous about my quote above, or my post on the last page? It should be no secret that Nintendo's hardware has been way inferior to what Sony and Microsoft have had for the last 7+ years, and the Wii is nowhere near as powerful as the XBox360 and PS3.

That's not even an "opinion"; it's a fact.

Haha. So basically, you're talking shit about a forum where you desperately admitted to being a fatass Asian dude with a dead-end job who has no luck with women, and desperately needed the board's help?

How much of a pathetic loser does that make you, then?

12. palmettosc

palmettosc
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

You didn't answer my question about the lack of a tv to really get into the games. I respect the fact that you have your own opinions, that's just how they come off to me. I'm generally curious how you don't have a tv but have such a strong opinion about virtually every console game that's talked about here.

13. Arms Akimbo

Arms Akimbo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Portal 2 -

I put Mortal Kombat back in the box for a while so I can get some time in with Portal 2. I'm probably one of about three people who own a 360 and never played the original Portal. So if you're like me and never played the original, this may be more pertinent for you.

I've been enjoying it a lot so far. The gameplay is very fun and easy to get the hang of. Some things could be explained a bit more, but nothing that proves to be especially difficult or frustrating. It's entertaining and the storyline thrown in with the plenty of dark humor makes you forget that you're really just playing a puzzle game.

It's definitely worth picking up, however, I feel like I could have waited a few months and gotten it at a reduced price and not feel like I was missing out on anything. It's not the kind of game I would normally pay $50-60 to get its first week out.

14. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

15. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

16. palmettosc

palmettosc
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

17. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Is this the gaming thread or the personal attack flamewar thread? (Prepared for the red dot.)

I'm rather upset about the whole PSN thing. I don't know what else to say. I'm constantly checking my bank account and debit card 95% of my purchases. But it sucks, hopefully they get their shit together so everyone jumps on board.

18. WickedBitch

WickedBitch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is why I'm glad that I sign up for nearly everything online as Ada Wong and don't give those fools my credit card info. I almost bought some Wii points over the network one time and my skin crawled. I'm far too paranoid to be doing all that stuff.

Not that anyone would want to steal my identity. My credit is in the crapper and my bank account is nearly dry, but still...

19. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

To anyone here who is worried that their credit card info is possibly affected by this PS3 bullshit. You really should start emailing them asking for at least a year free in a credit monitoring service.
    It is their responsibility to safeguard your information.

When Sallie Mae's data was stolen I was given a year free credit monitoring and that is less hazardous then what they can do with card numbers and what else Sony said they could have copied. I know when my father had one of his credit cards had this happen, he got 3 years of free credit monitoring.

20. Maltob14

Maltob14
    Expand Collapse
    Space Cadet

Note to everyone:

If it has nothing directly to do with a game kindly shut the fuck up.

Post about how you dis/like a game, what you thought about it, strategies or gaming news in general. That's it. Nothing else. Think someone is wrong about liking something? Tough shit. PM them if you're that desperate to get the point across. Any factual inaccuracies posted by someone? You state your case as concisely and constructively as possible. FYI, breaking it down into a dozen quotes and insulting someone isn't constructive. This thread is about the games, not the people playing them. If any personal attacks are made, whoever does it gets a vacation.