Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Automotive Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Backroom, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I follow a couple of racing YT channels... Steve Morris Engines, and Clay Millican (top fuel dragster).

Steve just did a really interesting behind the scenes video of one of Clay's race weekends. I learned a shit ton of really interesting things I've never known about Top Fuel before.

2. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't think I've ever hated a car more. I think I've used a lifetimes worth of swear words at it.

It'll be for sale if any of you're interested!

Screenshot_20240415_120823_Gallery.jpg

3. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Might as well LS swap it at this point

4. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You know why I hate it so much? This isn't because it broke, I didn't tear it down this far to fix something. This is preventative maintenance. This is for changing the oil in the supercharger, serpentine belt, water pump, thermostat and replacing 20 year old coolant hoses.

5. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Had a little work done to the Z06. Should be just a little bit faster now. From 531 to 643hp to the tires.

Attached Files:

6. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Nice. What did you do?

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I’m betting “type r” badging.

8. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You almost don't want to know how easy it is to make power with this car lol.

The OEM fuel system is about maxed out from the factory so they added an external pump that's hidden in the rear wheel well for additional fuel. Then they tune it for an E85 blend as now the OE injectors are the bottleneck. If I upgraded the fuel rails and injectors, I could run full E85 and make around 725rw.

So, in short. They added fuel and tuned it for E85 use. That's it. Car is stock other than that. Crazy.

9. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Last week, a woman ran a red light and just managed to hit me. At the time, I didnt feel the impact...I thought I got lucky and she stopped in time. When I got home, I found some scuffed paint on the edge of the front bumper alongbthe wheel well. I called the cops to see if I needed to file a report, the officer over the phone said without any of her info, there wasn't much they could do.

It turned out it was a good thing I called, as she apparently did and gave them my plate & vehicle description. The cops showed up at my house, but luckily, I was able to show the call log that I also called them.

I'm assuming she claimed I ran the red, however there's redlight cameras at the intersection, so I'm comfortable that claim will be debunked, or at worse it'll be my word against hers.

The officer I spoke to said it's up to the insurance companies whether or not they'll request the camera data. She now has my insurance info and I have hers.

My question to you all is it worth calling my insurance; do I need to call my insurance and report it?

The damage to my truck is annoying, but less than minor. If I came out of a store and saw the scuffed paint, I wouldn't bother calling my insurance. When she got behind me, I didn't see any white paint on her Tesla's red front bumper.

I feel like filing a claim will just give the insurance company a reason to raise my rates even though I wasn't at fault.

10. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I wouldn't fuck with it if I were you.

11. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Agreed. If it doesn't bother you, I don't see the need to call insurance unless her insurance company says you're at fault. Then call them.

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Then they’ll call you.

13. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Good call.

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I have a good relationship with my insurance broker, so I might just call him to let him know it happened but I wasn’t filing a claim, just to give him a heads up so he would know what it was about.

But that’s because my broker has been a family friend for more than 30 years and I “inherited” him from my parents.

15. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I inherited an insurance broker also. And dumped them at the age of 23 when I found out they were listing me as being married (since age18) with a couple of kids and essentially my entire insurance policy was based on fraud.

16. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is the extent of damage for anyone that's curious:
    20240502_171735.jpg

17. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Acetone (aka fingernail polish remover) will take most of the transfer off the bumper. Probably be cheaper to replace the flare vs repairing and repainting the existing flare if you were to ever trade it in. Dealers will act like half the car is damaged to get the value down