Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Recent Movie Review Thread

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by atcmh, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The Losers.

I saw the previews for only a brief time but grabbed this on Graboid the other day.

Very well done straight up action flick. Good explosions, interesting characters, some truly fantastic fun one liners and banter that poke fun at the action-drama.

I'm surprised this movie didn't do better than it did.

2. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I really have to disagree with this. I thought the story was excellent, it was also different from every other Robin Hood story you have ever seen.

It was well acted and I thought it had plenty of action, and despite it's PG-13 rating had the blood and violence you want from a film placed in Mid-evil times. It did get a tad slow in the middle but just as you squirmed in your seat the story picked up and the momentum regained it's pace.

Roxanne made a great point in her spoiler, I don't need to repeat that. There were a couple items that were a little too convenient, Walter Locksley just deciding to have Longstride live with him was one of them

The film is well acted, plenty of nice little scenes with Prince John as well as Little John and Will Scarlet. Don't go to this movie expecting Gladiator but you got any enjoyment out of Kevin Costner's "Robin Hood Prince of Thieves" you will enjoy this film.

3. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Here's an interesting little article about how the story of the film evolved;

<a class="postlink" href="http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/05/robin_hood_script_russell_crow.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/20 ... _crow.html</a>

4. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Robin Hood

Prince of Thieves rips this a new one. A boring drama, climaxing with a typical chaos-before-order beach battle where the action is rendered in Blair Witch-photography like only Ridley Scott can do. The only standout is old pro Max Von Sydow (who is excellent and well over 80), all the usually typically strong actors flounder. The story is peculiar but not interesting, which pretty much describes this movie to me. People fell asleep and walked out constantly through the film, who could blame them?

4/10

5. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Exactly how I feel about this movie. The first 20 minutes of the movie is kind of enjoyable but then there is and hour and a half of non-stop boredom. I could not wait for this movie to end. And the ending had me laugh out loud because it looked liked the beginning of Saving Private Ryan.

3/10

6. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Shrek: Forever After
    I took my son to see this today. I liked the first Shrek movie, and thought the last two sequels sucked ass. This one wasn't half bad. Granted, it is a kids' movie, but it didn't have as many of the stupid pop-culture references that were in the last two.

7. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Surfer Dude

I have no idea why I watched this film. I think I wished I was at the beach so much that all the beach footage tricked me into keeping it on TV.

Matthew Mcconaughy plays professional surfer Steve Addington who is down on his luck, and in a big slump with his career and waves. The film sucked the sweat off a dead man's balls. The whole time I kept thinking "what was Mcconaughy thinking??" "Why would he take this role??"

He is already getting slack for constantly having his shirt off and here he is in a movie where he wanders around the entire time with his shirt off, smoking weed and saying "Duuude where are the waves??"

I'm not sure if he was trying to make fun of himself or if he got paid 20 million but it boggles my mind. This actor did do Time to kill, Dazed and Confused, We are Marshall, decent films, this movie was a career killer.

There is a cameo with Scott Glenn that may make you grin, and some attractive women. Other than that the film has no redeeming qualities.

.25/ 10 <a class="postlink" href="http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=4Rl&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&channel=s&resnum=0&q=matthew+mcconaughey&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=Snr8S4PIG4P68AbVxfiHBw&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CDIQsAQwAA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&clie ... CDIQsAQwAA</a> *******what was he thinking????**** your a serious actor put your fucking shirt on!!!!!

8. NaughtyAmberX

NaughtyAmberX
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Daybreakers

I'd have to give it 9/10 stars. I was expecting more horror and less thriller, but it definitely didn't disappoint me. I was satisfied with the amount of blood and gore, and the surprises at random times. Also, Ethan Hawke makes a damn sexy vampire. Just sayin'.

9. Diablo

Diablo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Prince of Persia

Exactly as you would expect a video game made into a movie to be. LOTS of that parkour stuff, lots of sword fights, and one hot actress. It was actually an interesting story line seeing as how I never played the game. All-in-all I'd give it maybe a 6.5/10 for the sword fights and the hot chick meaning it's a possible rental when it comes out later.

10. MisterMiracle

MisterMiracle
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Get Him To The Greek: Not bad but not really funny either. It's sort of an average film with a few funny things going for it, one being P Diddy's scene stealing performance as the record mogul who pushes Jonah Hill's character the entire movie. If you take P Diddy out of the movie, you'd end up with something incredibly disappointing and bland.

Better off waiting for the DVD.

5/10

11. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Prince of Persia:

Good: Alfred Molina as Captain Fat Jack Sparrow, visual effects, and a bunch of action. For the two hours, I was entertained, and remember specific sequences in the game that were at least similar to the movie in terms of "jump over/through all of this shit to open that gate".

Bad: Everything else. Jake Gyllenhal was poorly cast, as a Persian, action hero and as a tough guy. He just looked goofy, he never looked like he could actually kill someone with a sword. This is a Disney film, so it squeaks when any other film roars, but the action is every 5 minutes. The problem is it's just impossible to follow. Literally, you can't see what is happening. The lead actress is simply not as attractive as she could have been. She's not ugly, but she looked ridiculous, in much the same way Patricia Velasquez looked in the Mummy 2...orange, manly and weird. THERE IS NOT A CONVINCING PERSIAN IN THIS WHOLE FILM. Ben Kingsley looked like a medical textbook of bad plastic surgery, and well...the plot was based on a video game, so I feel there is no need to elaborate there.

Overall: if you must see it, do not wait for it on DVD. See it in theatres for the visuals and sound. If you see this on DVD, pass.

12. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Splice

Canadian horror films usually centre around disease and mutation (Check out Cronenberg's films a la The Fly, The Brood and They Came From Within) always push the envelope more than American horror films, and this one is no different. Directed by Vincenzo Natali (Cube) it's also one of the better ones to come out in the last ten years, avoiding the pussy script cliche Hollywood has grinded out in boring polished, ghost-horror. This one admittidly borrows elements from James Whale's adaptation of Frankenstein (check out the character's names), but throws in some surprisingly sick and horrid elements (another Canadian staple) and some great shocks to boot. I don't want to ruin any of the plot for this one because it's serpentine, but if you like real horror then you'll want to see this on the big screen, it's a grabber, with good performances from Adrien Brody and Sarah Polley using as little CGI effects as possible (a big plus in horror films) with an original and cool looking "monster". This is a real original.

8/10

13. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Get Him To The Greek

I disagree with previous reviews, this was a solid comedy. Granted they could have shaved a good 20 minutes from the movie, but most of that was wrapping up the plot and the feel good elements which every comedy struggles with. Russell Brand managed not to annoy the shit out of me either, which is nice.

Plus, the majority of the jokes from the trailer aren't even in the movie and Puff Daddy killed it.

8/10

14. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Splice

I thought this was a pretty good movie too. Well acted, entertaining, nothing too cheesy, and above all else, a definite original film. After watching this I don't think I would really consider it a horror movie. At the least, it's a science fiction movie first. I had heard before hand 'not to eat lunch' before I went, but really, the gore isn't too bad. Perhaps the best part about the movie was that I was never quite sure where it was going to go next, and you're left in constant suspense. Overall, I won't call it a great movie, but it's worth seeing in theaters.

8/10

15. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

A-Team

A good action flick that doesn't take itself too seriously. Liberties are taken left and right in the storyline, loyal to its predecessor which keeps it fun but at times takes away the sincerity of the story.

From the trailer, I thought Murdoch was cast wrong, but Copley made the character his own. Rampage also did a good job, especially for his first role. Cooper's womanizing role we've all seen before, but Neeson is always a bad ass.

7/10

16. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I got dragged to the A-Team last night.

Verdict: Not bad. Nothing great, but it had some funny parts, the cast worked well together, and the action was relatively constant. I was surprised it was two hours long, it certainly didn't feel that long.

The good: Murdock was funny as hell. That deep-fried, Hee-Haw accent with a special brand of crazy was golden to watch. Gerald McRaney is fun to watch in pretty much anything. Liam Neeson is pure badass. The over-the-top action scenes were funny, Jessica Biel playing the straight man was pretty good.
    "(Sigh). They're trying to fly that tank."
    Also, none of the main cast acted like hardasses, they were laughing and joking when they did all the ridiculous shit.

The bad: Rampage Jackson cannot act (shocking, I know). The final action scene was too much CGI and was just too unrealistic. This from a movie with a parachuting tank, it wasn't ridiculous in a fun way like the tank or chopper scenes, just ridiculous. It had it's fair share of cheese, the plot was rehashed from half a dozen other movies, etc.

In short, it's exactly what you see in the trailer. Funny, ridiculous, and not a serious action flick in the least.

17. E. Tuffmen

E. Tuffmen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Toy Story 3: 4/5 stars. Just as good as the other three, only a little darker in tone. Spanish mode Buzz was hysterical and stole the show I thought. The ending is very moving and had this old man well up just a bit.

18. Diablo

Diablo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Two for one ratings here:

Toy Sotry 3: It was a very well thought out movie with a damn good story line. The only gripe I had was the fucking 3D glasses started to get incredibly annoying after the first hour and I had to take them off to rub my eye's a bunch. The characters have come a loooong way since the original Toy Story 15 YEARS AGO!! It has its adult parts like always but it also has its kids parts, which is what I've come to expect. I laughed, felt sorry, got a little misty eyed, and felt warm and fuzzy throughout the whole movie. I give it 4.5/5 stars.

Grown Ups: I really did not want to see this, but since we were in the theater after Toy Story, we decided to go see this too (yeah I theater hopped, wanna fight about it?). I was pleasantly surprised with how funny it was. It started out with all the main characters ripping on each other and never stopped until the end. They just kind of jumped into their lives though without much back story, just little snippets, so a few of the jokes were kind of lost. Everything else was pretty obvious at what was being poked fun at. Oh, there were many an ample cleavage shot, but no full on titty..like an absurd amount and they all looked damn good. Lot's of milfs, and a couple really hot 20-something year olds that kind of get sprung on you. Overall, I like it, and I'll give it a 3.5/5 for the ample half-tit shots and stupid humor.

19. KillaKam

KillaKam
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Get Him to the Greek-Very entertaining, and some damn hilarious scenes. The movie kind of loses steam during the midpoint, and could use some better editing here and there but it was worth checking out. Jonah Hill and Russel Brandt are awesome as a comedic duo and I think they will be starring in a few more roles together down the line.

20. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Knight and Day

Keep moving. Nothing to see here.