Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Recent Movie Review Thread

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by atcmh, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

That’s what the last one was like, Shin Godzilla. A stand-alone story that was mercilessly violent and mean-spirited.

2. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This one is even worse, and by worse I mean better.

3. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Sounds like a banger. Also, I was incorrect. Apparently there’s been six or seven Godzilla movies between these two.

4. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I made it 30 minutes into the new Aquaman and flat gave up. I thought it might be a cheesy-but-fun special effects show, and it had an 81% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes so it would at least be somewhat entertaining. It was not.

I made it a full hour into Rebel Moon before realizing that I didn't care in the slightest about anything or anyone in the movie.

My partner sometimes wants a turn-your-brain-off romantic comedy, and a friend told me Anyone But You was lighthearted and funny so we watched it. Sydney Sweeney's boobs were not enough to make that movie even remotely watchable... and I think that's saying something.

Normally the absolutely horrendous coverage that Madame Web is getting would make me want to watch it for a laugh, but I think I'm over my shitty movie quota right now.

5. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I may have done the search wrong, but it doesn't look like anyone commented on "Poor Things." It's on Hulu as of this week, so I watched it.

I mean, wow. Emma Stone is naked and fucking, a lot. Like, a lot. The surgical stuff is disgusting, and the weird music certainly sets a tone. The black & white to color shifting, along with the fish-eye lens photography also matches the tone. The growth in Bella's character through the screenplay is remarkable, and Emma Stone did that well. I laughed out loud more than I was expecting. And the Frankenstein's-monster-learns-to-talk part had a chance to be pretty campy, but I think was done well. The sets, production design, and costumes were remarkable. I thought Willem Dafoe was really good, but thought Mark Ruffalo was very average.

But, man, that is one weird piece of artwork.

6. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We quite enjoyed it and I think Emma should win best actress but I think they're going to give it to Lily Gladstone.

And yes, lot of "furious jumping" in that movie.

7. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Screenshot_20240310_093825_X.jpg

8. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You got your wish!

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

10. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

11. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Did anybody watch Ricky Stanicky? It's pretty typical Peter Farrelly stupidity. But, I did laugh.

12. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I thought about the same.

But, does John Cena owe the mob money or something? Dude is churning out movies. Six movies in 2023 alone.

13. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Maybe he was trying to bank while banking was available, since Peacemaker Season 2 was delayed?

14. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

He’s Vince McMahon’s ultimate sycophant, suck-up, ring-kissing bottom-dollar bitch. Vince is out of the picture, so he’s probably trying to make as many new connections as he can.

And producers will probably use him the same way. Never forget— This is the fucking dude who was forced to learn Mandarin just so he could make an apology video to China for saying that Taiwan isn’t their property.

15. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Late Night With The Devil

I’m not really a horror fan but always a fan of well made movies. This was well made and executed. Possession/exorcism movies have been fucked out for a while. Instead of rehashing The Exorcist for the billionth time story revolves around a fading 70s late night tv host who tries a last ditch sweeps week ratings grab by doing a Halloween show on the paranormal. Where it really excels is its commitment to recreating the 70s late night comedy show vibe that devolves into a horror movie. David Dastmalchian plays the host and just oozes 70s tv host that gets in over his head . The rest of the cast is pretty spot on the theme too. Blends live tv, back stage drama, and documentary like archival fairly seamlessly. A good slow burn with a nice crescendo. Will say some of the minor characters are one note and I wish they tied up some of the subplots a little better in the finale. Otherwise one of the better movies I’ve seen in the past few years.

8/10

16. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

100% agree. Pretty unique way to do a possession movie.