Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Rant & Rave Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Joel Raymond, Oct 19, 2009.

1. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

MOTHERFUCKING FIRE ALARM AT MOTHERFUCKING SIX FIFTEEN AM IS NOT OK

WANT PUNCH SOMEONE

2. Dayvan

Dayvan
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Rave: Bitter:Sweet is reaching more and more people [see signature].

Double Rave: Their website still kicks ass.

#1862 Dayvan, Jan 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  3. M4A1

M4A1
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2010/01/29/20100129officer-shot-gilbert-ON.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/ ... rt-ON.html</a>

Rant: My step-dad has been a cop for over 33 years(MCSO, AZDPS, Gand Squad, often serving warrants and interviewing suspects by himself at 52 years old, in the worst neighborhoods in PHX). My 2 younger brothers are Phoenix Fire Department Firefighters, the youngest one about to be laid off due to budget cuts.(he just fell through a roof last week with his Captain during a call at a fire) My 2 best friends in WA are Police Officers, one Seattle PD, the other a DoD cop on Bremerton Naval Base. My step dad was the best man for the Chief of Gilbert PD wedding. Some asshole decided to kill a Gilbert PD Lt, after a long chase, (not to mention 6 of 8 WA area PD killed since October). They all lay it on the line every day for us, John Q Public. Please, pray for all of our fallen Police/Firemen.

Rant: I am a pussy for hanging up my Army uniform for being a soft, spoiled civilian, and they lay it on the line every day. Here is to realizing said weakness, and loving them for the fact that they wear a target on their back every time they walk out the door. My manhood comes cheap.

Rant: I am pretty drunk, but this doesn't lessen the fact that they hang it out every day.

4. McDermott

McDermott
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Rave: I'm in Brisbane studying medicine. It feels good to study something I have an interest in and that will actually be useful for a career, unlike my undergraduate degree.

Rave: I'm a long way from Ontario. I don't miss anything or anyone at all. That might sound sad, but it feels empowering to not have those feelings, especially for such a dramatic shift.

Rant
    : Somehow I believed none of my problems would follow me here. I fooled myself into thinking this would be some kind of paradise and I would be free from my own vices. The truth is that is too high an expectation for anyone and any place.

5. E. Tuffmen

E. Tuffmen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

RANT: WTF is with all the snow here in NC? And... why don't they plow? I don't get that. There is at least 9 inches where I am, probably more, and there is more on the way. I moved from NY to get away from this type of crap weather. Global warming MY ASS!

RAVE: I work from home so I don't have to drive in it at all and we are fully stocked on food and essentials.

6. Sicnevol

Sicnevol
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Rant: God Damn voodoo cuddles.

Rant: Corporate decided we need to stay open until 9pm on Sundays! wtf Cock Mongers. It'll cost you more to keep the store open, then you'll make.

7. Indiana

Indiana
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Rant: Moved to the fucking beach so I would never have to see this white devil ejaculate ever again. I fucking hate snow. I have 6 inches on my truck right now.
    Rant: The bar is still open so I'm still going into work in an hour.
    Rave: 4 wheel drive.
    Rant: All of the girls from the bar who have 1988 Civics and Rabbits, and can barely drive in high winds, still have to come in as well or they get fired because: "They knew the snow was coming and should have planned accordingly."
    Rant: My boss is a fucking cock sucker. Actually, he is gay. So literally.
    Rave: Going to nail my neighbor with a snow ball when he comes out of his door today.
    Rant: He is Puerto Rican though, so might throw one with razor blades back.

8. jennitalia

jennitalia
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rant: A friend of mine that I've known since I was 10 has just been diagnosed with Leukemia. Apparently, it's pretty advanced already. I feel so sad for him and his family.

9. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rave- Mario Batali is coming to the Atlanta Food Expo this year!

10. Diablo

Diablo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rave: Dual Spool Axial Flow Compressors, variable geometry inlet ducts, and afterburners...while sounding incredibly complicated, are actually pretty simple concepts to understand about Jet engines...which are fascinating pieces of machinery.

Rant: Still studying...but I'm more than halfway through the material and I get most of it. Flight school, here I come baby!!

Rave: Guido Night tonight. Fist pumping to techno music...I'll need to be really drunk for this.

11. Croftie

Croftie
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Rant: Got drunk and slept with dramatic-girl last night. I am such a fuckup.

MAJOR RANT: She gave me a goddamn massive hickey on my neck in the shape of the first letter of her name. So now I have a massive purple and splotchy "S" plastered on my neck. I foresee a scarf in my future. Thank god it's been snowing,so I won't look too awkward and out of place.

Rave: I got laid.

12. PewPewPow

PewPewPow
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rave: Broke up with the girlfriend yesterday and got my ass out of a shitty relationship. I've already got some new prospects lined up, so life is pretty peachy.

Rant: Apparently breaking up because you weren't happy isn't good enough reason for some people. Fuck 'em.

13. taste_my_rainbow

taste_my_rainbow
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

RANT: One of my best friends in the whole world and his wife lost their house tonight in a fire. They (including their 1 and 3 year old girls) are safe though. It was his parents house that they had just finished remodeling about a year ago. He lost both of his parents before he turned 25 and that house meant so much to him. Because of the icy roads, it took the fire departments 40 minutes to get there.

Small Rave: They are safe and were able to get a lot out before it went.

14. travdiddy84

travdiddy84
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Rant:

I've had the hiccups going on 8 hours, on and off.

Someone please help me rid myself of them.

15. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There was an episode of ER as I remember that featured a guy that couldn't get rid of his hiccups and he turned out to have AIDS.

His fiance dumped him that day.

I don't think Jesus could help you get rid of that you MMF freak show. Just make sure you tell the dudes you were with. So they don't spread it in Cincinnati any more than it needs to be spread.

RAVE: Tito's Vodka rocks.

16. DrFrylock

DrFrylock
    Expand Collapse
    The White

RANT: I was an idiot.

This is really unusual, because I spend something like 98% of my waking life attempting to avoid idiocy in all its forms. Sure, I occasionally make an honest mistake, like I forget to turn off the air conditioner before leaving home for the weekend, but complete "you should absolutely, positively have known better" idiocy is pretty rare for me.

Moved into a new place about seven months ago. Right next to work, egregious rent but $300 a month under the going rate for worse places in the area, and so on. Thus began my need to move all my utilities (electric, gas, water, TV, Internet, phone) up to the new spot. Most stuff moved pretty easily, but I had to change TV/Internet/Phone companies.

I live in one of those buildings that has an "exclusive deal" for all three, meaning you can only get all three from only one company. In this case, it's AT&T.

The new landline phone plans are pretty good - $40 a month unlimited long distance with every service supported by the 5ESS switch (call waiting, call forwarding, blocking crazy bitches, etc.) No problem.

The Internet is AT&T DSL. I spend like 90% of my life online so this is really important to me. I had been using a cable modem for many years, and was pretty happy - although theoretically cable modems can be slower than DSL, mine were always very fast, and I usually got very snappy performance with bandwidth far above DSL. But DSL is OK; it's a little cheaper anyway.

The TV was different - AT&T outsourced their TV to Dish, which put dishes on the roof of our building. The Dish prices were off-the-wall high, and you had to order them through a third-party website that had in the title bar, I shit you not, "ATT&T TV Services." If you can't even spell the name of your company right in the title of your website, something is wrong.

I had a south-facing balcony, though, so I had a second option, which was to get DirecTV. DirecTV seemed to have better rates and can spell their own company's name. I know many DirecTV subscribers that seem relatively happy, so I signed up.

And that, friends, is where Dr. Frylock became Dr. Idiot.

Look, everyone complains about their TV, internet, and/or phone company. Everybody. I get that. They're all big, shitty, soulless companies. I figured that they were all equally shitty/soulless, so, all things considered, I would be OK. Then a few months ago I read that DirecTV is the worst company in the known universe. I got a little worried. I started looking into things.

Apparently I signed up for a 24-month contract with them. I didn't even know 24-month contracts existed for TV. Yes, I am retarded. I have always had cable which was month-to-month. And from reading these articles it appears that every time you call them for anything, they have some rider in their contract or some shady practice that re-ups you in some way. So if you get another TV and add a box, that's another 24 months. If you call them out to fix their crapped-out satellite dish, you're now a 24-month subscriber to the monthly "service plan." What the fuck?

What is the benefit of these 24-month contracts? I guess at the end of it I own my receiver boxes. I have no idea why I would want to own my own receiver boxes. They can't be used for anything else, and you have to buy new boxes (and re-up your 24-month contract) if you want to get the latest features anyway. You can sell them on eBay to other people but I don't understand that either. What is that going to let me recoup, $50? Who cares?

In the meantime, my DSL has gotten shittier and shittier. It now drops out every night, and the tech guys have told me that I am so far from the substation that if I want it to be reliable I can drop down to like the 1MB tier. Why is AT&T the only DSL provider in a building that is too far from the substation to have reliable DSL? WHO DOES THAT?

AT&T has redeemed themselves slightly by, just last month, making Uverse available in our building. This is their FIOS competitor, where they run fiber to the phone closet and then use DSL or something for the last mile. I can double my bandwidth for the same money, increase my reliability, and the phone is $10 cheaper a month. TV costs about the same as DirecTV and the DVR is better, and there's no contract and no intro rate. Woot, time to switch. But wait...

Canceling DirecTV at this point incurs me a $20 a month penalty for early cancellation, which (with 18 months left on my contract) is $360. They get $360 from me for doing BUPKUS. And I have to give them their stupid receiver boxes back. If I cancel my cell phone plan and pay the ETF, I get to keep the phone at least. Not so here. AT&T is offering $300 sign-up bonuses so that offsets things quite a bit, but it would have been nicer to just pocket the $300 or use it on an HDTV instead of having to fork it all over to Direc-fucking-TV for doing NOTHING.

But you know what, I'm doing it anyway. I canceled my DirecTV today and can only pray that I don't have to play the "did you send us those boxes back? We didn't get them. We'll just put an $850 charge on your credit card until we sort this out" game with them. I at least managed to avoid the 40-minute upsell effort to retain me by giving them no information whatsoever about why I was canceling. Given that there are now class action lawsuits all over the place against DirecTV, there's a good chance that I will get a settlement check for $9.88 and an offer for three free months of Showtime if I rejoin - in six or seven years when it all gets settled.

I'm unhappy with this whole thing. Mostly with myself for being so goddamn stupid. In an effort to save a few bucks a month I totally fucked myself right in the patoot. The only bright side is that I am happy to be out of a 24-month contract, because fuck that noise.

Let me tell you, though, DirecTV has to be in a pretty bad way when they can make AT&T look good.

17. numeric

numeric
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Rave: 6 hours of pool at the bar completely comp'd.

Rave: Cajun turkey sammich.

Rant: I'm the only one of my roommates that doesn't have a bed warmer tonight.

18. Zinoplatinum

Zinoplatinum
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

Rant: This is a long rant, but not one without a point.

I am a U.S. Navy veteran who up until a month ago was very proud of the fact that I had served my country. I was discharged honorably in 2008, and last summer after bouncing around temporary jobs I decided to go back to school using my GI Bill benefits. That is until I got a letter in the mail telling me that because I had a preexisting medical condition I wasn't eligible for education benefits. Period. Screw the fact that I paid for my GI Bill, and that my service record is spotless, some quack shrink didn't want to have to do an extra page of paperwork. Sorry to use the rant board as a soap box, but this is fucking bullshit. I am supposed to be guaranteed an education, it's the least those fat assed cocksuckers at the DOD could do.

19. abneretta

abneretta
    Expand Collapse
    Shenanigator

Rave: via rep comment, somehow I got rid of the hiccups. I deserve an award of some kind. I would happily accept a case of Bud Light.

Rant: I'm still awake, still drinking by myself, at 2:00 AM.

Rave: Fuck the husband, I'm not having too bad a night drinking by myself, watching South Park on MTV.

20. Primer

Primer
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

raAVE: SLUTTYY FACE

RAVEl PASTA I FOUND AT HOME IN FRIDGE, FUCK YA