Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Rant & Rave Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Joel Raymond, Oct 19, 2009.

1. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rave: RAIN!

2. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rave: Just got the Samsung Galaxy S3. Upgrading from a Blackberry. YAY! Real APPS!

3. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Rant: I copied my appointment time incorrectly from the sheet to my kitchen calender. Cue me missing my 12:30 which I thought was at 2:30. I am a fucking dumbass.

4. CarbonCopy

CarbonCopy
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Rant: Things I hate:

Every.

5. Bebe

Bebe
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

RAVE: Broke up with the girlfriend and dyed my hair red. Let's do this.

6. bebop007

bebop007
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rave I have an interview scheduled with a recruiter tomorrow.

Plus, I managed to talk with a recruiter at a very large accounting firm today and he seemed pretty positive about landing me a position within the firm. The downside is, it's going to lean towards the more entry level-ish side of things. Which I understand completely. Given my 'meh' resume which includes work experience at a small family owned firm and degrees at a rather small school......I really have little to no leverage to bargain with. However, if I'm able to land a decent position there for a few years, plus get my CPA certification within the next year or so, I'll have the makings of a pretty solid career path.

Rant Three months of unemployment has left me pretty financially drained. And the lease at the apartment I'm couch surfing at is ending in a few weeks with one guy moving out and me potentially taking his spot. If I take his spot, yeah, I can stop couch surfing but I'll be on the hook for a good chunk of change in the next few weeks. If I don't and someone else takes the spot, that means more couch surfing and having to potentially find a place on my own. If I have to find a place on my own, that means I'll owe a lot less money (since I'm just couch surfing I'm probably paying half of normal rent plus some expenses) and I'll be able to pocket away more money for a move. However, the location I'm at is awesome and in a great neighborhood so losing that would suck big time.

All in all, I'm not overly worried. A lot of short term pain, sure, but with the potential of a lot of long term payoff.

That, and I'm rather consoled by the text my dad sent me a few months ago on my birthday,

"When I was 28 (my age now) I was married, had two kids, and was about to be laid off from my job. I think you'll be okay."

7. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm currently holding the on-call pager and have been paged twice already. I've billed 27.11 hours of work in 3 days. The target is 32 hours a week. I have to drive over an hour not including a ferry ride to an office tomorrow. I'm the best man at my brother's wedding next week and we're having his bachelor's party this week. Oh wait, I can't drink because of the pager.

The only good thing that happened to me this month was me getting back with my girlfriend after pretty much breaking up with her. The only time something good can happen to me is if something as soul wrenching as a near break up occurs. Oh, and I fell off the smoking wagon after not regularly smoking for 13 months.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go duct tape my mouth closed. Why? Because I'm pretty sure the barrel of a gun might accidentally end up inside of it.

8. Nicole

Nicole
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Got woken up to 2 policemen going thru our backyard, looking for a mountain lion.

9. whathasbeenseen

whathasbeenseen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rant: I am the most sore I've been in a long time.

Rant: I thought I was getting in shape

Rave: Soreness is from my first class of Krav Maga in 5 years. It was brutal and I loved every second of it.

Rave: Now I know I'm getting in shape and its no longer round.

10. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rave:
    Went with my buddy who had free tickets to last night's Yankees game in the Delta Suite. That's definitely a nice spot to watch the action.

Rant:
    Two hour rain delay meant that I didn't get home until after 1:00. I want to inject coffee into my eyeballs.

11. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

RANT! Wife woke me up at 3:45 this morning with the words, "There's water all over the kitchen and laundry room floors.". I check under the sinks in both rooms, cabinets are dry. Check behind the washer, wall is dry, hook ups are fine. I can hear water running, but no faucets are open, none of the toilets are running. Start mopping the kitchen and we see the water coming from under one of the cabinets. Go to the half bath off the kitchen water is coming up from the threshold onto the bathroom floor, but not on the other side of the saddle board in the hall way. Carpeting in my office is wet behind the sofa against the wall adjacent to the laundry room. Plumber comes out at 5:30, tells us we have a slab leak. Plumbing repair crew is on its way as is water damage repair crew. I am not looking forward to the clusterfuck of a shitfest that is about to descend upon our humble abode. And it's not easy finding the main water shut off valve when it's pitch black outside.

Rave: Homeowner's extended warranty through AHS will pay up to $500 on a slab leak, which should cover my deductible on my Homeowner's insurance claim so hopefully this won't be painful to the wallet. And if they have to rip through the tile flooring in the kitchen, I'm okay with that. We've wanted to get rid of the white tile (what was the builder thinking?) for some time, so if I can get it replaced through insurance, this just might turn out a win. And I took the day off. I'm finally going to get the chance to play COD on the new PS3 we've have for a month.

12. toxic

toxic
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Rant: I always think it’s a great idea at the time to go out drinking on a week night to break up the monotony of the work week….I am so regretting it now. I’m so tired and I have an awful headache. I just took my last two Advils and my work only has the weirdo generic ibuprofen stuff. I half-assed threw on some eye liner and mascara this morning while half asleep to try and hide my tired eyes but I’m pretty sure I look like crap. I would have given anything to just be able to sleep in my comfy bed with my guy all morning. I can't believe it's not even close to noon yet. Help me.

13. Mexicutioner

Mexicutioner
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Rave: I ended up winning those tickets to Outside Lands in SF this past weekend. What a fucking enjoyable ride that was. Saw Stevie Wonder, SIGUR ROS!!!, Neil Young, Dispatch, loads of other bands that I was familiar with or came to know and enjoy. It was a really refreshing change of pace from covering boxing, which I've gotten a bit burnt out doing as of late. I now feel refreshed to hit the boxing beat hard again, but also I want to look into writing about music on the side and I know a few people in the field who will help me find my way.

Rant: My ex girlfriend has been really getting involved with boxing as of late. When we dated she used to edit my stories and I pushed her to write because she is a great writer and I helped her since her knowledge of the sport was limited. She was very inconsistent and never turned shit in on time, ever. NOW all of a sudden since we broke up she's focusing pretty much all her energy on boxing, shamelessly flirting on social media with people in the sport to a point it is ridiculous. I ignore it publicly but it does bother me outside of that. She went to Vegas a few weekends ago with this photographer she used to talk mad shit about because she thought she was flirting with me even though she wasn't. Now they are best friends. She hasn't had a job since last March and yet is somehow able to do all these things without any worry, living at home with her dad. I've got actual bills to pay so I supplement with some side gigs, puts me at a disadvantage. I'm trying not to concern myself with her but it is becoming a difficult task.

14. Omegaham

Omegaham
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rave: Kettlebells. I really, really hated going to the gym. I hated the "Curls For The Girls And Get Huge, Bro" (i.e. 95% of people who go to the gym on a Marine base) culture, the crowding, the waiting for a machine to open up, the lifting itself, everything.

Enter the kettlebell.

The things themselves are in a neglected corner of a neglected room. And no one uses them. And, shit, it's fun. I go in there, grab a pair of 35s, 45s, and 55s, and slay myself for an hour.

Just doing that for a week, I've already started feeling stronger.

Rant: Before I became a crew supervisor, I was in charge of parts requisitions. It's not a hard job; it just requires a fair amount of organizational skill and the dedication to stay on top of all the paperwork. I had an assistant, one whom I trained pretty painstakingly for several months.

Now that I'm no longer doing said supply work, my assistant is running the show. And he appears to have forgotten everything. So now I'm doing two full-time jobs just to keep the shop running. It's a serious pain in the dick when I walk in at 1300, have a shitload of maintenance to do, and then have him tell me, "Oh, those four parts requisitions you wanted me to do? I wasn't sure about what the next step was, so I sat there with my thumb up my ass for six hours instead of calling you or asking Sgt B for help. Sorry."

FUCK.

Rave: LCpl Dipshit is on the new CO's Crush His Soul list. Said new CO is a very, very nasty person. As in, "I'm not going to yell, scream, or say mean things. I'm just going to write paperwork and kick your ass out of the Marine Corps" nasty. It's only a matter of time before hilarity ensues.

Rant: The NCOs in the shop are probably going to be affected by the fallout. After all, shit rolls downhill.

15. Pussy Galore

Pussy Galore
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Rave: Saturday is my birthday. Random friends and I are doing the brewery tour at Sweetwater. I get a tiara. Also, heading to NYC next Wednesday. Prosperity Dumpling, Zarkana, Big Gay Ice Cream, Brooklyn Brewing, Afro Punk Fest... Sofuckingpumped.

Rant: One of my good friends asked if she could bring a date, a guy neither I nor any of my other friends have met. For a two hour tasting and tour that happens four days a week. WHY DO YOU NEED TO BRING A DATE TO MY BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION?!? WHY DO YOU NEED TO BRING A DATE OR FIND A GUY EVERYWHERE WE GO?!? PENIS WILL NOT FILL THE HOLE IN YOUR SOUL! ARGH!!!

tiny Rave: I think she got the hint from my lackluster response that no, I was not okay with her bringing a date.

16. Gravy

Gravy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rant: My dad is a dick and I'm tired of dealing with him.

17. Pinkcup

Pinkcup
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rave: Dogsitting the friendliest, most affectionate labradoodle this week, which gives me every opportunity I want to snuggle the crap out of an animal who won't get annoyed with me like my cats will. I absolutely loved taking her to the dog park/wooded trails today with The Dude and his pup. Simple activity, but I enjoyed it so much.

Warning! Cheesy shit ahead!
    I could co-walk dogs with The Dude for the rest of my foreseeable future and be perfectly content. It's amazing how much better things are when you're doing them with someone you truly enjoy being with.

Rant: The dog got so many spikey little balls in her coat that I ended up having to cut a bunch of them out. She had a lot around her nose and mouth, and I basically ended up cutting her beard and mustaches (?) off. Oops.

Rave: NYC next week!!

18. ouroboros

ouroboros
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Rant: Was startled at 2 am by this-

It went on for an hour.

Rave:
    My sister just gave me her Nook tablet because she said she was barely using it. Its no IPad3, but its free and I dont have to read books on my Droid anymore!

#15238 ouroboros, Aug 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  19. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Continued rant: shitstorm was a pretty appropriate term. The house is a complete mess and the water damage was greater than we initially thought. The hardwood floor in the family room is ruined, the water spread from my office through to one of my daughters' rooms and the laminate flooring in there needs to be replaced. They had to drill holes into the kitchen cabinet bases and there are 15 blowers operating in the house to dry things out. I'm getting 3 rooms refloored, but not the one I wanted to replace. And my homeowners deductible? $3200, which covers the plumbers bill. But after that, insurance is covering all the water damage remediation and restoration and since they had to cut into a wall, and remove all the baseboards, the family room will be getting a total facelift, as will my office and my daughters room--floors, baseboards and repainted.

Have to admit, the plumbing service and the restoration company were great. And so far, State Farm has been as well. But what a total pain in the ass this whole episode is.

20. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rant: School clothes and supplies suck the life out of your wallet. Ugh.
    Rave: Making money to cover it doesn't suck.

Ra...? MiniMe is growing a mustache. My firstborn son is turning into...not a squishy kiddo anymore. I'm somewhat sad but also so very proud of who he is. But it's a mustache. The Husband lives in another state. Are there youtube videos to show how to shave? I may make him watch one.