Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Rant & Rave Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Joel Raymond, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Diablo

Diablo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rave: ^^ Awesome people do exist in the world.

Rave: Day and night aerial refueling tomorrow.
    Rave: Lifting 14,000lb bridge pieces and dropping them in the water on Thursday.

2. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

RANT: My dad is in the hospital. He was trimming some tree limbs, and one of them hit him and knocked him off of a ladder, fracturing his pelvis when he hit the ground. That was last week. The doctors kept saying that he would be out the next day, but more things keep going wrong.
    He'll live, but if he can't walk, that's going to be a huge blow to him. My dad has always been the toughest guy I've ever known, and he's never been incapacitated like this.
    Still, he made it to 78 without anything really bad happening to him.

Rave:
    They say that the journey of 1,000 miles begins with one step; today I start the first step in swapping the engine in my dad's '99 F150 (since he's not going to be driving it for awhile).
    Out with the wheezing, oil chugging 4.6L V8 (330,000 miles!) that's in place right now, and in with the tire-shredding 5.4L V8 that I built before I got sent to rehab.
    This is gonna be a custom job, because the two engines have different wiring harnesses/PCM/plumbing/etc.
    I've been looking forward to this for a long time.
    I keep trying to talk myself into getting some long-tube headers while I've got everything taken apart... What do y'all think?

3. KillaKam

KillaKam
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rave Got my classes scheduled for this fall semester. Full time status. I'm so pumped to be going back, but have to remember to bust my ass as well.

4. fleafly

fleafly
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

RANT: I hate my job.

RANT: After a 3 month lay off, the doubt is back.

RAVE: Leaving for Sturgis Wednesday with the old man.

5. trojanstf

trojanstf
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Rant: This is a follow up to one from the other day, I was told by my ex that I should try writing out my thoughts and just typing them up to no one feels weird to me.

I keep getting overwhelmed by just how big the world around us is, how small we are and how insignificant everything seems because of that. I almost had a panic/anxiety attack/breakdown earlier today because for the past month or so I'll randomly sit and think about all of this. It comes out in many different forms. What happens when we die? Or when Earth gets engulfed by the sun? Where will I be at that point, I know long dead but is that just like and endless dream that you don't wake up from and don't remember? Eternal nothingness? Does everything just keep going on around us in other solar systems and galaxies? It just scares the shit out of me not being able to answer any of those, and freaks me out thinking that I'll have to spend another 50 years or so (hopefully since I also have this idea that I'm not making it t 40) with all these ideas bouncing around in my head all the time but there are no answers to any of these questions. I've never been someone who thought about this stuff too much but now I can't stop and I just wish I could push it all out of my head and never think about it again.

6. Baby girl

Baby girl
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

Rant Difficult day at work! People can be so stupid.

Rave Taking some time at noon to rub one out at a local secluded place. Day should be better now!

7. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

RAVE I JUST WON WINTER CLASSIC TICKETS! I won them through a Maple Leafs ticket raffle, I'm a Red Wings fan. So stoked!

8. Striding Man

Striding Man
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Rave: got home last night from a 2 1/2 week vacation all over Europe & the mediterranean, and it was a perfect vacation!

Rant: Grandfather passed away this morning about 3:30 after emergency surgery.

So many mixed emotions right now.

9. subgeniuschick

subgeniuschick
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

[RAVE] Both of my old houses are still for sale. Rave why? They were both rentals and in both cases the landlord try to bully me into buying the place. The first place I was in for a week when she started and I ended up being there four months in total. The second place I was in for nine months of a three year lease when that landlord started. I was gone shortly after and I bought because I'd had enough of this shit. In both cases the purchase price way out of whack. The first place I moved out of was in Jan 2009 and she STILL hasn't sold it. This place is now close to 50k less that her 'bottom line' price to me. The second is now $15k under the no dicker sticker offered to me and it's been six months.

The moral of the story here kids? Greed doesn't pay.

10. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Rant: Fucking amazed that some hotels still don't offer free wifi.

Rant: I'm perfectly fine with never hearing the following business buzz words/phrases ever again:

-Leverage
    -Network (as a verb)
    -Sync up
    -Synergy
    -Integrate efforts

11. ssycko

ssycko
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rave: Seeing Bloc Party tonight for the first time

RAVE SEEING BLOC PARTY TONIGHT FOR THE FIRST TIME

SERIOUSLY THOUGH RAVE

12. fleafly

fleafly
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

RANT: Work...fucking work.
    RAVE: Came home over lunch to the girl dressed sexy as hell.
    RAVE: All packed up for Sturgis.

13. LessTalk MoreStab

LessTalk MoreStab
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rave: Have new car. Be stoked.

14. Bebe

Bebe
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

RANT: I guess it's time to for me to buy a new car. I've been driving the same beat up Camry for the past 8 years (it was my first car) and though I love it, the small issues are turning into big issues. I'm really dragging my feet on it though. I just feel so attached to the ancient piece of shit.

15. audreymonroe

audreymonroe
    Expand Collapse
    The most powerful cervix... in the world...

Rant: Planned Parenthood started an ad campaign in Seventeen magazine for the chat and text service. It hit stands today and, oh, is this going to be a long month. Either the ad was horribly written/designed so that it is not clear whatsoever what the purpose of Planned Parenthood or the chat/text line is for, or it just reached a ton of obnoxious teenagers who are bored on summer break who thought it would be cute to waste our time, or both, but it wreaked havoc on us today. We got maybe 3 legitimate questions from the ad out of, I'd say, 200. The rest were all like "What's the best position?" "What's a boner?" "Why don't I orgasm during sex?" "What's a good household product I can use for masturbation?" Etc. We get enough ridiculous questions as is that are actually related to what we're there for that still completely waste our time and resources. This is going to push us over the edge. Especially since we're already understaffed. And underpaid. It wasn't halfway through the day before we emailed our boss with "YOU BETTER FUCKING REWRITE THAT AD BY NEXT MONTH," only much more professionally worded than that.

16. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

RANT: Damn kids with no respect for things. I asked the GF's daughter to start the dishwasher. She pushes START but nothing happens. I tell her the door must be shut all the way. So she fucking KICKS the door shut. I about came unglued.

Note- This isn't some shitty apartment dishwasher. It's a Miele and if you know anything about high end appliances, you know their shit ain't cheap.

17. NotaPharmacist

NotaPharmacist
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

They say that the best way to ignore reality is to get shit done. Given that your dad will likely appreciate the work you do, it's probably the best thing you can do for both generations. Get to it, you bush-loving weirdo.

EDIT: Shit, forgot the Rant/Rave BS

Rant: Mom might have lung cancer, dog is not going to last until November, and I walk her every three hours.
    Rave: When your godfather dies, the above becomes a lot easier to deal with. I'm successful with a freelance business, and building another family member's work. Shit could be worse. Even as it goes down the crapper.

18. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Rant: I bought a pork shoulder to make pulled pork sandwiches. A huge portion of it was still covered in pig skin and there were little bristles of hair in it. It took me forever to skin it. Is that normally how they are sold? If so I probably will never buy another one.

The smell was possibly what made it the worst. And I have pig fat under my fingernails that I have washed over and over but the smell of pork still clings to my hands. Fuck this nonsense.

19. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rant: since Hamlisch died, I've heard Babs singing "Memories" at least 6 times and can't get it out of my head. This is the mental equivalent of a root canal.

Rave: Oldest daughter leaves for college in 2 weeks. She's been so bitchy this summer, we're looking forward to getting a break and having her out of the house. The constant fighting with her sister, bitching about having to work AND do her chores (I know, we're terrible mean parents) and arguing about every little thing has taken its toll on the rest of us. I told her she couldn't come home until Thanksgiving, but don't be surprised if we're not home.

20. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There's a Calvin and Hobbes strip that has a plane, a derailed train, and earthquake converging on the site of Farmer Brown's while he attempts to light a stove that has been leaking gas. I am Farmer Brown right now.