Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Rant & Rave Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Joel Raymond, Oct 19, 2009.

1. thabucmaster

thabucmaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rave: It is absolutely gorgeous outside today!

Rant: I'm stuck inside studying for a Microsoft exam that I have to take tomorrow at noon. God damnit, I want to just go take the pup the park and enjoy the nice weather.

2. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rave: I'm not as mechanically retarded as my parents and brothers think. For years, any time I attempt to do anything that requires a minor amount of technical skill (i.e. plumbing, woodwork, or even just using a fucking hammer or putting together a desk we bought), my brothers and dad laughed at me and said they'd do it for me. Example: the sprayer in my sink wasn't hooked up when we moved in. I asked my brothers and my dad how to hook it up, and they all laughed at me and told me they'd do it when they had free time, and I shouldn't even bother to try cause I'll fuck it up. This was a year ago. When doing dishes today, I finally got pissed at not having a sprayer and looked under the sink myself, figured it out, and hooked it up.

Rant: It just shows how little my family actually thinks of my abilities to figure shit like that out. Seriously, it was 'turn off water, unscrew cap, put plumbers tape around fitting, screw on sprayer hose, turn water back on.' My dad and brothers laughed at me and thought I couldn't do something that fucking easy. I'm not saying I could fix up our basement by myself, but I'm definitely not as bad as they think I am.

Rave: Job interview at a video store today. This would be an awesome job if I could get it.

3. mekka

mekka
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Rave: Done my undergrad in 1 month, and will be graduating debt-free thanks to my parents. I don't tell them enough, but I appreciate the hell out of everything they've done for me.

Rave: The picture I just saw of my former roommate 90% unconscious on a hospital stretcher, covered in blood and still grinning like an idiot is one of the funniest things I have ever seen. Apparently, he was disgustingly drunk at the bar, tripped over a chair and fell through a table that was full of glasses. He had to get stitches in his ass and hand and claims he doesn't remember any of it.

Rant: I just looked out my window and it's fucking snowing. Get fucked, weather.

Rave: Vegas this summer. 8 of us will be staying at the Bellagio for 4 days in August.

?: My boss at my old summer job has been in contact with me recently and given me some interesting news. They brought me in to do the standard student bitch work, but I wound up working on a number of other projects for them. The work I did was good enough to wind up in several other locations across the country that used the same processes as we did, and apparently caught the eye of the people that were in charge of overseeing the whole project nation-wide. I mentioned to my former boss that I was done my undergrad, and apparently he talked to some people and they offered me a position in the management training program, which puts me in a bit of a conundrum. I've been accepted into my top choice for a grad program in September, but I've always kind of been on the fence about going into grad school immediately after my undergrad.

The upside to taking the job is massive: I'd start at a salary that is much higher than most other "straight-out-of-school" jobs offer, and have nowhere to go but up. I've already networked significantly within the organization, which means the process of moving up would be quick as well. I'd be able to start in pretty much any of the 40+ countries where they have a presence, and would be able to move around geographically as I moved into new positions, which is something I'd like in a job (at this point in my life, anyway). The program itself is fucking hard to get into, and I wouldn't have to do any of the interviews etc etc.

The downside: Taking the job means I put grad school on hold, perhaps permanently. The money and having the sky as the limit for advancement in a large MNC is an amazing opportunity, but I honestly don't have much interest in the field of work itself, even though I'm pretty sure I'd do well in it. Essentially, I'd be like the millions of other people out there that sell their souls for a paycheck, albeit a nice one.

Real life decisions suck. Do I sell my soul for financial security and a job that I am neutral about (I don't hate it, but I don't enjoy it) or do I turn down a potentially lucrative job offer in favor of more schooling? I'd probably be able to land a sweet gig with the government once I finished that, but who knows what the job market will be like then?

I know people face far worse decisions than this all the time, but fuck. I legitimately have no idea what to do. Fuck it, I'll turn down both and move to Spain to be a matador or something.

Whiny Rant: I have 3 broken toes from dropping a keg on them. Owie.

RAVE: Toronto Blue Jays! THIS YEAR'S THE YEAR, DAMMIT!
    Even though they lost today.

4. Tom Ato

Tom Ato
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

RANT: The great letdown.

5. whatisinaname

whatisinaname
    Expand Collapse
    Hoping to be even a fraction of the man Jim is.

First ever rant : Parents - they are leaving at 0800 tomorrow.

RAVE : My gosh; I so love them. I want to wake them right now and just hold them both.

RAVEST: Big Teufel and little Teufel played with them. If you don't cry when you see your parents cry because your K9 reminds them of their first K9 that they had after WWII in Germany, you have no soul. I'm such a pussy; I cried like a bitch today.

6. StayFrosty

StayFrosty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

RAVE: I found an old asthma inhaler cartridge. It's shaped like an APFSDS/Sabot shell.

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

RAVE: Hobo With A Shotgun. Oh HELL yes.

8. Disgustipated

Disgustipated
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

RANT: Fucking toe. Yes, I realise I haven't exactly wrapped you in cotton wool and babied you. But for fuck's sake, I injured you nearly five months ago. Bend, dammit! I can't grapple properly if I can't get on the balls of my feet and you know my knees checked out a long time ago.

9. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

rant: I'm not sure why what my best friend did disgusted and pissed me off so much, but it did. In the grand scheme of things I should have only been perturbed and then moved on, but I have been seething since Thursday. I was hoping I would get over it over the weekend but that didn't happen. I don't want to see her or talk to her.

10. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rant:
    I've been waiting patiently for spring, and now that it's here, I'm regretting it. Apparently, when I opened the door this morning, spring threw a pollen haymaker at my face and connected. I'm fucked up. Sneezing, itchy throat, coughing--the works. I'm drinking green tea like crazy, and just kind of making it through.

Rant:
    I bought new pillows yesterday to replace the seriously shitty ones I had. They're plush, and comfy, and awesome. Why the rant? They're plush, which means that when I'm laying on my side, my spine is aligned differently--and it doesn't like that. I've got shoulder and back pain that Aleve isn't touching. Just can't win today, I guess.

On another note, Bed Bath & Beyond had a pillow on sale for $130. A fucking pillow. I grabbed it and laid down on one of their demo beds to see what was so great (or at least on the off chance that for that kind of money, the pillow would start blowing me). It sucked. It was thick and heavy, and the padding felt like someone had used it for a couple years already. $130...unreal.

11. Ins

Ins
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

RANT: Sorry for those who don't like bathroom talk, warning you now.

I had just eaten way too many grapes and my body let me know this, apparently grapes make me shit. I go to the bathroom and have a horrible dump. Suddenly I hear a knock at the door. The superintendent has brought a couple over to look at the apartment which I had totally forgot about. Luckily someone else is here to let them in while I realise I'm an idiot still inside the bathroom.
    I now have two options:
    1) Do I finish and come out? Would they try to act like adults and out of politeness ("Hey everybody does it") walk into what is now the foulest smelling place on earth and be forced to examine it? Would they be cool enough to go "Nah man, that's okay thanks for warning us". Do I really have to go apologize to another adult for pooping?
    or
    2) I can wait them out. The last two couples only took 5 minutes to look around, realised it was like every apartment on earth or weren't interested and moved on. Hopefully these people will do the same. I choose # 2 (har har)...but over 5 minutes pass and I'm just sitting there, I haven't even wiped because you'd hear me. Nothing else is making noise. Our apartment is small enough so that wherever they go, they're still close enough to the bathroom to hear me if there's no other noise. It's not like they can go upstairs for a few minutes.
    I hear keys jingling so I figure they're about to leave, I made it. But they keep jingling...Dear God...are....are they waiting for me? Are they going to wait outside the bathroom while I wipe and hear exactly how long and well I wipe? And then walk into it?
    This is horrible. I clean myself off preparing to tell this nice couple I just violated what could be their toilet. As I finish wiping I hear the door close. They just left. But thankfully they still got to hear me clean myself.

God damn that was awkward. My reasoning for staying in there was if they were cool enough just go "Oh we understand, we'll check it out some other time" then I'd rather not add explaining to a random couple that I just took a massive poop to my day. I can wait a few minutes.

Sorry if this isn't funny but I'm still reeling from how awkward that was, fuck.

EDIT: I just realised there was a third option of just not telling them and letting them walk into it, to see their reaction. But I'm not that cruel.

12. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rave:
    Amazing Simpsons quote. William Bonney comes back from the dead after Lisa convinces Springfield to destroy all of their guns. After rounding up other dead cowboys and Kaiser Wilhelm, he says:

13. Chirpy

Chirpy
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

RAVE: Quit my job with Satan's Spawns. I've never simultaneously felt more guilty and more relieved in all my life. I figure I'd be beating myself up about it either way so I finally decided that the lesser of two evils was for me to go. It ultimately came down to money and the distance I drive every day to get there. Just not worth it with gas, tolls, and time. Plus, it's such a negative, disorganized vibe in there that I want to burn sage and wave it around to try to expel all the demons that seem to be haunting that place. It's just weird there. I'm not a quitter by nature so this one is really tough on my psyche. Thank God I have an education and degrees to fall back on--lots of teachers leave this time of year due to pregnancy/mental breakdown/early retirement so my new job is only two weeks away.

RAVE: Above all else...baseball is back and all is right with the world. Aaaaaahhhhhhh...

14. TX.

TX.
    Expand Collapse
    The Mad Pooper

Rant: Can't get out of my head.

15. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rave: First of 3 interviews for that video store job went great (yes, there are 3 interviews). This job would be incredibly perfect. Flexible hours, extremely close to home, decent pay, just excellent.

Rant: Not looking forward to the next few weeks. Two exams, and two term papers due within the next three weeks.

Rave: After I turn in the second term paper, its pretty much all downhill from there, and summer will be great, especially if I get that job.

16. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Big Rave: My niece, who was born at 25 weeks gestation 2 years ago, just got off oxygen! She's moving forward with leaps and bounds lately and this is just another great thing to add to the list. She started "cruising" and crawling about a month and a half ago, and can now walk with the assistance of a walker. I am so happy for her!

17. CarbonCopy

CarbonCopy
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Rant: I am back at work after already putting in a full day. I have had to come back after hours for the past few weeks because I can't get any of my regular work done during the day. All I do is answer questions for sales and production because I am the only engineer that knows the product well enough to do this.

Rave: Job security. The company I work for never lost business when the rest of the economy took a dump. Now that things are trying to pick up we are going even stronger. The first quarter of this year was a record for the company. The number for the quarter was more than double the business for the whole first year I was here.

Also my salary has more than doubled.

Rant: I think this job is killing me.

18. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rave: Opening Day was fucking amazing. The whole day was sunshine and beer and alcohol and brats and just...fucking...amazing.

Rant: My schedule doesn't look too friendly regarding actually GOING to baseball games this summer. Lame.

19. Backroom

Backroom
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rave: I didn't know Andy Samberg plays for Butler

20. fleafly

fleafly
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

RAVE: My birthday today.

RANT: My 30th birthday today.

RAVE: New motorcycle is the birthday gift to myself.

RAVE: Birthday sex from the girl friend.