Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Rant & Rave Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Joel Raymond, Oct 19, 2009.

1. JoeCanada

JoeCanada
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rave: About the watch the first episode of the new season of Dexter.

2. Brengsek

Brengsek
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Where David Hasselhoff is remembered for music, no
  3. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

RANT: When to an Ultrasound with my wife, I didn't care for it. I kept thinking the worse, what is that? Is that a whole in the babies heart? Ect... I also was nervous when the technician was silent.

RAVE: I'm having a son. I'm so jacked, I had thought it was a boy the whole time it was nice to get a confirm. On 8/26/07 I lost my brother, he was my best friend it was literally the worst day of my life. It will be so awesome to name my kid after him, TIB will be expecting Daniel James around 2/4/2010.

Keep him in your prayers, Freebis I'm guessing maybe your agnostic so you can give me a virtual slap on the back.

4. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

For those of you that don't know, Ass Holes Finish First drops today.

Rave: Going to the book store after work!

Rave: I look forward to a lengthy discussion about how much everyone but me hates Max and the book.

Rave: I just used airline miles and hotel points to book a ski trip to Aspen and Steamboat. 5 days of nothing but fresh powder and my board. Total cost? $65 in taxes and fees for two. I love being a frequent traveler.

I really don't have anything to Rant about right now.

5. Dr. Gonzo Esquire

Dr. Gonzo Esquire
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Rant: Sitting in class, bored out of my mind.

Rave: It's raining so the Gideons aren't on campus passing out bibles.

Rant: I like having the Gideons around because I fuck with them when I get bored.

Rant: Yes, I know, I'm going to Hell.

Rave: But I understand the pizza and music are great down there.

6. Samr

Samr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rant: Gunman inside UT library. He opened automatic fire then killed himself.

Double Rant: They're looking for a second gunman now. God I hope this isn't true.

7. Dr. Gonzo Esquire

Dr. Gonzo Esquire
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Rave: No reports of any injuries/casualties yet.

8. Samr

Samr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rant: Copycat "stunts." Always happens, even if they're just baseless threats.

Back when the VT shooting happened, I was in one of the colleges where the copycat crap happened. Nothing scarier than hearing "there's a bomb in the building!!!" and sirens going off. Happened early morning, many of us were sent off campus in our boxers and without our car keys; campus was shut down for a few days. If I remember correctly, they found a box but nothing too explosive was in it.

Turns out it was a bunch of seniors trying to get out of exams.

9. PewPewPow

PewPewPow
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rave Got a date last night with one of the hottest chicks I know.

10. Frank n Beans

Frank n Beans
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Ravish: Well at 6:06pm and 6:31pm we had the two boys Benjamin and Caleb. Wife was able to deliver them so we didn't have to bother with a c-section. They were born a day before 28 weeks and were 2lbs 9ounces and 2lbs 13ounces. So far everything has been better than expected. They are able to breath on their own so they just have a mask on. They are going to be here for awhile but as long as they are healthy I'll take it. Wife is doing very well and happy. So not what we were hoping for but as long as they stay on the right path we're happy.

Pictures of both in the Kodak Moment thread for anyone interested.

11. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rave: Starting to not be sick.

Rant: AC is off and it's muggy as hell in the office.

Rave: Central air when I get home.

Rave: Ordered it on Amazon, hopefully I'll get it soon, it's been a long time coming.

12. Samr

Samr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'll echo that. I got an email from Amazon a few nights ago saying my order shipped, and it was a fantastic surprise. Say what you want about the guy, but his writing speaks for itself. Unfortunately his book tour doesn't stop anywhere near me, otherwise I'd make the drive out there.

I really hope this book isn't his final public chapter, that a second movie gets made, and that he continues to publish.

13. CharlesJohnson

CharlesJohnson
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rant: Banned Books Week. This is apparently still an issue. Fantastic. We have to protect kids from such subversive works as "Of Mice and Men," or even the almost 50 year old "To Kill A Mockingbird." Possibly the most important book of this decade as well,"The Kite Runner," because kids might be sympathetic to brown people we're at war with.

Top 100 Banned Books this decade.

Ironic Max's new book comes out on Banned Book Week (9/25 - 10/2). Really wish he did some marketing to play on that.

14. bigtom0404

bigtom0404
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

RANT: Cheap shitty asian food -1 bigtom0404 - 0. Thanks for making me pee out my ass all day after lunch.

15. E. Tuffmen

E. Tuffmen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

RANT: Wait, what? Banning books? In America? I had no fucking clue, and why is the Harry Potter series at the top of the list? The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn? Are you fucking kidding me? I'm completely blown away. Who are the morons who stand for this? They should be sterilized.

16. dewercs

dewercs
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rave-Leaving for new mexico in the morning to do some harvesting and got invited to crew on a 9 day fishing trip from San Diego down the baja coast, it is going to be a good fall.

Rant-one of my properties is being foreclosed on, you can never ever lose in real estate.

17. Zach

Zach
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rant: Got rear ended on the way home from work today while I was stopped in traffic

Rave: Only what appears to be some minor damage to my rear bumper while the other guy's car is a write off.

18. Samr

Samr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Fucking Rave: Like the good little trained person she is, I returned home from class to see that my wife had placed my new copy of Assholes Finish First on my desk. I'm now 80 pages into it, have choked from laughing a few times, snorted a few more, and am still reading while my wife obediently goes to pick up delicious Mexican food.

From what I've read thus far, I think I like it more than the first. Though the first was certainly original like nothing I had seen.

19. Roxanne

Roxanne
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rant: My friend is an asshole for introducing me to the addiction that is Reddit.

Rave: I love Reddit.

20. scootah

scootah
    Expand Collapse
    New mod

Rant / Rave: Mostly, corporate IT is so fucking boring it hurts. But Advanced Persistent Threats and Viruses that give a third party the ability to trigger a meltdown in a nuclear reactor or blow out a dam, blow up a power station, take out a sewage plant and look to have been developed by someone with a national department of defence budget, do add some excitement to my day.

This is real, in the wild, and the stuff of bad hacker fiction. It's a virus that had to have a development budget in the neighbourhood of a quarter million US dollars. It required developers who could walk into completely legitimate jobs on $150k USD a year plus in any developed nation. Guys who's skills are massively in demand for purely legal and incredibly high value jobs don't write malware for giggles. It's a virus that doesn't make anyone money. It is legitimately, weaponized software - in that it is a pure software worm that can cause major civic infrastructure to malfunction in a way that potentially causes mass fatallities. It initially targeted primarily iranian resources - but it's being seen in a shitload of other locations. The only people both capable and motivated to develop this kind of shit are national defence interests or the much less likely option - terrorists (and the deployment and use doesn't match terrorist patterns).

It's fucking mindblowing that this actually exists. I've written threat scenarios for future planning that included this kind of shit - but it was always a worst case fiction scenario.