Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

"And it don't stop..." OFFICIAL Hip-Hop Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by clickclack, Oct 20, 2009.

1. dubyu tee eff

dubyu tee eff
    Expand Collapse
    Thinks he has a chance with Christina Hendricks...

Also, you guys should all get a hold of the new Roots album, "How I Got Over." The Roots always bring the goods. I've especially been digging this song:

Sounds like a baby crying through autotune.

#161 dubyu tee eff, Jul 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  2. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

More stuff about Recovery, in case anyone cares...

I wanted to wait a few weeks to digest the album before I took a firm stance on it. Initially, I was blown away, but I wanted to make sure. According to iTunes, I've listened to most of the tracks over 25 times, so I've got a good feel for it.

I'm on board with what everyone else has said so far. This album is goddamned genius. I'm hesitant to say it's better than The Marshall Mathers LP, but if it isn't, it comes very fucking close. Most of the 17 tracks are amazing. "No Love," "Seduction," "25 to Life," and "Love the Way You Lie" have stood out as my favorites. All 4 tracks have the most focused flow on the album, in my opinion. As opposed to the last couple albums where he took cheap shots at people out of desperation/jealousy, on Recovery he spits like he knows he's better than you, and he's going to rub it in your fucking face in a way so that you can't deny it by the time he's done.
    I was particularly pleased by "25 to Life," because I thought it was another Kim song (surprising, given what he wrote about her in his book a couple years ago). It wasn't until the verse where he says "Don't I give you enough of my time? You don't think so, do you? / Jealous when I spend time with the girls, Why I'm married to you / Still man I don't know, but tonight I'm servin' you with papers / I'm divorcing you, go marry someone else and make 'em famous" that I realized it was about hip-hop, and my opinion of the track skyrocketed.
    I'll be honest, I don't care for "Won't Back Down." At all. But that's just because the rap/rock hybrid stuff has never appealed to me (and I've never been a fan of Pink), so take that for what it is. "So Bad" is another one that made me think "meh." His flow in that one is still nice, though, particularly in the first verse. I think I'm just down on it because compared to all the great tracks on the album, it seems ordinary.

Someone earlier on the thread mentioned "W.T.P." and said it was "mediocre" and was down on it simply for being less than serious. I disagree. I think it gives the album a bit of balance, because honestly if I got an entire Eminem album without any goofiness, I'd be a bit disappointed. It has an element of silliness to it that you can appreciate, rather than shake your head in disgust at ("Ass Like That" comes immediately to mind).

On a bit of an unrelated note, when my friend (who's also big into hip-hop and got me started on Wiz Khalifa and Curren$y) got the album and heard "No Love," he texted me (paraphrased): "See, if Wayne would just fucking rap like that, I'd definitely listen to him again. Very focused and sick flow. Reminds me of Carter 1 and 2." These are my thoughts exactly. If Lil Wayne would do more of this and less "Ice Cream Paint Job" shit, I'll devote more space on my iPod to him.

3. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I just noticed this. There's supposed to be a sentence in between the first and second one bringing up my indifference to "On Fire," because that's the track I was talking about here. My thoughts on "So Bad" stopped at "meh."

Proofreading: it works.

4. dubyu tee eff

dubyu tee eff
    Expand Collapse

Big Boi's solo debut "Sir Lucious Leftfoot: The Son of Chico Dusty" dropped on Tuesday. I just got around to listening to it now. For some reason, this hasn't seemed to have gotten the hype Big Boi deserves. Let me try to contribute. When I get a new album, I listen to it three times, and on the third time through I delete the songs I didn't feel. However, even the first time through, I start to get a feel for what I will likely delete. I'm 3/4 through the album, and I haven't felt like I'm going to delete a single song(aside from the intro, seriously when will rappers stop bothering with intros, outros, and interludes?) Big Boi has always had a great flow, and he is shining on this album. The production is also superb and has that out of left field feel that Outkast always delivered. Very heavy on funk sampling, which I love. A definite standout is Shutterbug. The beat is awesome and I think could easily be a crossover hit if it gets enough exposure.

#164 dubyu tee eff, Jul 8, 2010
  5. Sleeves

Sleeves
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Royce messin around

Serious 5'9

Cant wait for slaughterhouse to drop again

#165 Sleeves, Jul 9, 2010
  6. burned ice cube

burned ice cube
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I'm a little partial because I am from SF, but San Quinn is one of those guys that just knows how to make a quality track.

#166 burned ice cube, Jul 9, 2010
  7. dubyu tee eff

dubyu tee eff
    Expand Collapse

Anyone else listen to Curren$y's Pilot Talk yet? I've read what some of you guys have said about this guy. I looked at the youtube tracks posted and wasn't too impressed. I figured I'd check out the album though figuring he'll bring his A-game to it and I can really see what the deal is. And yet after listening to the album all I can say is.....Devin the Dude v2.0? I don't know, what am I missing here? Seems like a pretty average rapper to me.

8. Man On The Moon

Man On The Moon
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Curren$y is every Nahright and 2dopeboyz love child.

I don't see the appeal, honestly, his best friend Wiz Khalifa I enjoy a lot more.

If I remember Curren$y use to be signed to YM/CM and put out a song a couple years ago I enjoyed with Lil' Wayne called,

"Where The Cash At?"

9. bkess

bkess
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Just heard a few tracks from the upcoming Rick Ross album, Deflon Don. With Ross, I am always hesitant because so much of his music is garbage, but a few songs always find their way onto my iPod. However, the three songs that I have heard off of his new cd sound very promising. Aston Martin Music has a very laid back beat and a chorus from Drake. Live Fast, Die Young has a pretty good Kanye beat, along with a fairly good verse from West. Lastly, and probably the best, is Free Mason featuring Jay-Z. Jay has a very good verse and Ross seems to carry his own (or as much as he can when rapping with Jay). I am not saying by any means that the new Ross album will be any good or worth anyone's time, but these three tracks are actually pretty good and I will def be giving Deflon Don a chance. Now fast forward two weeks and I will probably be laughing at how far off of a prediction this post really was...

10. dubyu tee eff

dubyu tee eff
    Expand Collapse

So.....what the fuck is with the complete lack of good new rap this past month or so? I'm going through withdrawal. Someone help me out here.

11. Beans

Beans
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

A new Lupe track "Go to Sleep" dropped a couple of days ago, as always, it is tight.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.hotnewhiphop.com/en/play/s/29cdc0d-66942/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.hotnewhiphop.com/en/play/s/29cdc0d-66942/</a>

12. mobkah20

mobkah20
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Wale's new mixtape "More about Nothing" is awesome, the Seinfeld clips thrown in make it 5x better. Wale puts out some pretty solid mixtape, I hope his next album is up to the same standards.

13. Sleeves

Sleeves
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I wish this trailer actually had a sample of one of the songs. I cant wait for this to come out though.

#173 Sleeves, Aug 26, 2010
  14. dubyu tee eff

dubyu tee eff
    Expand Collapse

So what albums are ya'll excited for that are about to drop soon? My list is pretty dry these days. The only one I got is the Ill Bill x DJ Drama mixtape that is coming out Tuesday. Also, apparently Ill Bill and Sean Price are working on an album together which should be fire. Aside from that I got nothing. Well, there is also the Detox.......................

15. rbz90

rbz90
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I'm kinda excited for Game's album. He's got an odd nack of producing really strong albums without he himself being particularly stand out at anything. Also Nas is said to be on it, don't know how to feel about that.

16. AbsentMindedProf

AbsentMindedProf
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Both Kid Cudi's & J-Cole's albums are coming out at the end of October. I'm real pumped for the Jay Electronica album, but who knows when that will actually drop.

17. JPrue

JPrue
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

LASERS from Lupe should be really great, and I'm that much more excited having heard "Go To Sleep", "I'm Beamin'" and "Shining Down". I love his music and I would be hard pressed to find a song that I don't like.

I'm also really excited to hear "King Uncaged" from T.I., as I've always loved his albums since I got hooked on his sound from "KING".

Say what you want about Kanye, but I love his music. Dark, Twisted Fantasy will definitely be in my collection upon it's release.

Overall, I think it's been a really good stretch for Hip Hop albums, as opposed to disposable singles as the past years have been, with Recovery, Thank Me Later from Drake, and the three albums mentioned above among others.

18. Brother J

Brother J
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

19. theillest

theillest
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

New record that is decent is John Robinson and Lewis Parker's "International Summer". If you like that mid-90's jazzy, gritty production, it's pretty dope. Not much in the way of jaw-dropping rhymes, but a good nostalgic listen.

In response to the Curren$y talk, I thought the album was pretty dope. Yes, a lot like Devin, but I thought his flow was better, not as funny.

Best song I've heard lately?

#179 theillest, Sep 1, 2010
  20. jecantor

jecantor
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

The new Big Sean mixtape, Finally Famous Vol. 3: BIG, dropped yesterday and it's a must-download.

Link: <a class="postlink" href="http://nahright.com/news/2010/08/31/big-sean-finally-famous-vol-3-mixtape/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://nahright.com/news/2010/08/31/big ... 3-mixtape/</a>

Favorites:

My Closet
    Supa Dupa Lemonade
    Five Bucks
    Too Fake