Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2010 NFL Season

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by shegirl, Sep 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Andre Johnson should not be suspended, and if he is, that will be a very poor reflection on the NFL and Roger Goodell. Cortland Finnegan went totally apeshit, first landing a cheap shot, and then continuing to attack Johnson. What the fuck is Andre supposed to do there? Any sane, rational human being is going to defend themselves, and rightfully so.

Listen, I don't know or care about either of these guys, but I watched the incident, and it's very clear who is in the wrong here.

2. dubyu tee eff

dubyu tee eff
    Expand Collapse
    Thinks he has a chance with Christina Hendricks...

Come on be real, you know he will be. Yes, Finnegan started it and egged it on but Finnegan fell down at which point Johnson threw two huge haymakers. He's going to get suspended for at least a game.

3. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In Johnson's defense, he landed the haymakers after Finnegan ripped his fucking helmet off which pretty much says "I don't want any protection on your head when I try to hit you in the face." Fuck that douche. He looked like Harry Houdini with his stupid ass hair when Johnson finished whipping his ass.

My favorite moment of the day, as an unabashed Bears homer, was Peppers chasing down fucking Michael Vick from behind. What a beast.

4. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I wish there was something I could use to prove on was on Peyton Hillis's nuts before anyone else...(should I be proud of this?) When he was back in Denver and the 8th string running back, he was beasting and everyone said "Oh its because of Mike's zone blocking scheme yadda yadda yadda" but that didn't explain the tackles he was breaking out of and the people he was just abusing. I'm a big fan of this guy. He makes me want to watch Brown's games, how fucked up is that?

Out of 5 of my Bears fan friends, I got 3 texts saying something along the lines of "I think I might be getting a man crush on Julius Peppers". I also had a conversation with someone that hinted that Rob Marinelli out coached someone else. I can't even process that thought.

Also, Vick made that pass to Celek in the 4th, did anyone else have flashbacks to all the shit people talked about him not being accurate. Gah-ah-ah-ah-ahd dam they are eating shit now. That was some Drew Brees, Peyton Manning accuracy.

5. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Did you guys miss the part where Finnegan's helmet got ripped off first, not only on the play with the fight, but also earlier in the game?

Finnegan may have started it, but Johnson elevated it.

6. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Dude, Marinelli owned Andy Reid last night. You can't give up 31 points and not be outcoached. I'm not sure if I'm sold on the Bears though, defense is amazing but you really don't know what offense will show up.

Julius Peppers is ridiculous but the linebackers make that team insane. Urlacher cover's more field that any player in the game right now, including Ray Lewis. He was involved in every play past scrimmage, he was nuts.

The NFC is still a crap shoot in my opinion. Atlanta while beating the Packers got smoked by the Eagles. The Bears beat the Eagles, and I think they could beat Atlanta as well. I just hope it's not the Pats in the superbowl from the AFC, I'm so fucking tired of New England.

7. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I HOPE its the Patriots in the AFC going against the Bears in the Superbowl. That'll be a football gasm for me. My two favorite teams going against each other.

Also "I'm not sold on the Bears yet" is like the new "concussions are an issue" for this year. If they get into the Superbowl people are still going to be saying that. I really don't think Green Bay can do anything in the cold with zero passing game. It's insane. They can't even eek out 25% run plays.

8. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Tony K on PTI suggested that Andre won't get suspended because the Texans are playing on NFL Network on Thursday and if Andre isn't playing no one is going to watch the game. That's fucking interesting. Totally possible. I like the conspiracy theory.

9. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

No matter what happens to either of them if this is the reason they don't suspend him, it's bullshit.

I was watching the game at the bar with friends. Seated behind us was a couple that were obviously not getting along. They sat right between us and one of the back screens that the Steelers game was on. I'm watching the Packer game right in front of me at the bar. I hear my GF who is a die hard Steelers fan say "OH MY GOD!!! THEY'RE FIGHTING!! LOOK!!!" During one of the game breaks. Que everyone sitting at the bar turning in the direction of that screen/couple.

After it calms a bit and everyone processes the fucking FIST TO CUFFS that went on on the field my GF is laughing. I ask what's so funny and she said that seconds before the fight, that couple had a spat of some kind, he slammed his beer down on the table and stormed out of the bar. So there's the female half of dysfunctional couple of the day left alone, everyone starring and yelling about "the fight". Doucheface* came back a few minutes later.....they gathered their shit and moved to a different table. HA!

*From what I heard earlier come from that table which was this, "Just shut your mouth and order your fucking food." From said Doucheface so I think he qualifies for the title.

As for the fight, isn't it a long standing saying in the NFL that it's always the guy that reacts and throws the second blow that gets into trouble?

EDIT: They were both fined 25k and no suspensions. This is not the first time they have gotten into it according to the story on NFL.com. Like my post earlier said, they're just a bunch of overgrown kids.

10. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm really curious why people have this absurd take on the fight. Here is the thought process I have read so far;

"Oh yeah, they're both totally at fault! Who cares that one guy, at the very beginning of the play, blindsided the other with a hard hit to the face, and then continued attacking him? Or that one has a reputation as an extremely dirty player, and the other doesn't? Clearly, the man defending himself is somehow every bit at fault, and also deserves a suspension. Yep!"

Props to the NFL for not suspending Andre Johnson. The league is sane after all. I would ask why they did NOT suspend Cortland Finnegan, but considering a large portion of their own fans don't understand the difference between what the two men did, it's not surprising, either.

11. serenohills

serenohills
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Good for Andre Johnson. Finnegan had it coming...for a very long time.

And Johnson is one of the classiest players in the league. Just because he played at the University of Miami doesn't mean he's another Michael Irvin. From what many have said about him, he is one of the quietest players in the league, and just goes about his business.

But I guess none of that wasn't good enough for Finnegan. He had to get underneath the man's skin. Big mistake, as Johnson proved he's not to be fucked with.

12. serenohills

serenohills
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I didn't watch Cutler that much in Denver. Is the way he played yesterday more like what he was with the Broncos? Or has he always been a turnover machine?

13. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Pretty much. The difference is his last year in Denver he was throwing for a mountain of yardage so people forgave it. I honestly don't think he's ever proven himself to be great, or among the top QBs in the league. He did look damn good against the eagles though. I'm still not sure what to think of the bears. I'm not really a believer in that offense (that was the most points they scored all year). However, the receivers at least seem to be better than the preseason perceptions.

The packers are making me nervous. They are in no way guaranteed to make the playoffs. Especially with games against the giants, bears, and patriots coming up. I think the giants game might be the most important. The winner of that match will probably decide who grabs the last playoff spot behind the saints.

14. serenohills

serenohills
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

That was a tough game, though, against a very good team. I think it would have been a different story in Green Bay. Unfortunately for the Pack, it looks like homefield advantage will run through either Atlanta or New Orleans, so the weather probably won't come in to play.

I have no confidence in the Bears winning that division. They have to play the Jets, New England, and Green Bay. I think all three of those will be losses, and Minnesota and Detroit are no gimmes, either.

Atlanta and New Orleans should be an interesting race for the NFC South title, too. I'll take New Orleans in that one.

15. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The NFL and their fines does not make much sense to me. Asante Samuel was fined 40k for a hit where he left his feet and contact was made to the head. It was accidental and no injury occurred on the play.

Richard Seymour open hand punches Ben Rothlisberger in the jaw and get's fined 25k? Johnson and his combatant only fined 25k? I'm not saying that these players should be fined more but when you maliciously attack another player I think it should carry a stiffer penalty than an accident.

I know that the hype around hits to the head right now are insane but many of these players are not intending to do it, isn't punching a player with no helmet a worse violation than accidental contact to the head?

16. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

Here's what I don't get, one of the reasons for the crackdown on "dirty" hits is to quill the image to some of the general population that football is a dangerous sport and that the players are a bunch of overpaid animals. It would seem to me a helmet throwdown fist flying fight ON THE FIELD would be far more, not only embarrassing, but only fan the fires of those that believe what I said above. For them to see that and then what the penalties (fines) were for the "infraction", it all just seems too fucking lopsided when you look at the bigger picture with the NFL's stiffer hand on leading with the helmet hits and so on.

It makes little sense to me and I'm a fan of the game. I have no opinion about what should have happened other than that little puke with the q-tip fucking dyed hair should have been suspended for atleast one game. That guy even looks like an ass, literally. I guess I do have an opinion. ahem

And a few last things, god damn the Falcons and the Packers for folding under them. GOD DAMMIT. God damn the fucking Bears for stopping Vick and the Eagles. The battle for playoff spots and the schedule over the next three weeks is making me as nervous as a whore in a Planned Parenthood. FUCK!

EDIT: Brees got SI's Sportsman of the Year. Chater and BD can now have their lovechild, name him Drew Brees and raise him to live up to his namesake. Yep.

17. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I am going to implode if we miss the playoffs. Especially considering we have the best point differential in the nfl and lose every game by a field goal. If the bucs get in over us I think I might kill someone.

18. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If Mike Martz's play calling balance stays the same, and Cutler sticks to 3 step drops, NFCN is theirs. Hands down. The Packers CANNOT go 90/10 pass/rush. They just fucking can't. Julius Peppers looks hungry. Also, after Monday Night, either the Jets or my beloved Pats will be too tired or be coming off a hate loss. So that's a 50/50 for the Bears.

Packers were fucked when they looked at Marshawn Lynch and did absolutely nothing. I'm not even sure they looked at him. If the Pack picked him up, just as sledge hammer to keep the defense honest 3-4 yards a play, they would have been fine.

I could not wait for Monday night. I just can't wait. It is going to be the best game ever.

19. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't watch the Packers so I have no clue as to why Brandon Jackson is so bad? Does he not hit his gaps? The line in Green Bay is fine, I wish we had it in Philly.

KT a Green Bay fan? Living in Minnesota? Isn't that illegal?

20. hawkeyenick

hawkeyenick
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

From what I've seen from the Packers, their line is better built for pass blocking rather than run blocking. And frankly, they're just now becoming competent at pass blocking. Last year they allowed 51 sacks, and so far this year they've only allowed 21 sacks. I think the team has focused so much on pass blocking that their run blocking has suffered, and that doesn't even take into account the talent disparity between Brandon Jackson and Ryan Grant.

I'm a Bears fan, and I'm a bit less optimistic than Parker about the division being all but wrapped up for the Bears. The Bears have some tough games coming up. I fully expect the Lions to give the Bears their best shot this week, and it wouldn't shock me if Calvin Johnson just demands the ball every fucking down as payback for the win the Bears had gifted to them in week 1.

I do think the Bears can win the division because I could easily see the Packers struggling down the stretch since 4 out the final 5 Packers games are in climates that tend to demand a strong running game. However, 3 of those 4 games are in Lambeau where the Packers are typically pretty strong. I think the NFC North could come down to the Week 17 game between the Bears and Packers in Lambeau, and I think that could end up being the best game of the season if you like defense and the old black and blue style of football.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.