Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2010 MLB Season

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Beefy Phil, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Arms Akimbo

Arms Akimbo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I agree in that I do not think Pujols uses PEDs. I would never say that I'd bet my life on it, even as a figure of speech. You also have to keep in mind that there are performance enhancing drugs that do things besides increase body/muscle mass. This includes stuff like amphetamines and drugs designed to help you recover from injuries faster or be able to deal with more minor injuries so you don't miss playing time.

Unfortunately, every achievement by anyone in this post-steroids era of baseball is still subject to skepticism by me.

2. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

To get things back on track here -

What where the yankees thinking when they signed Johnson? Honestly, did they think he spent the last 5 years drinking gallons of milk?

And (in Jerry Seinfeld tradition) what is it with Thames? Is he a functional retard?

3. dubyu tee eff

dubyu tee eff
    Expand Collapse
    Thinks he has a chance with Christina Hendricks...

I really feel bad for Nick Johnson. Without all those injuries I really think he could have been a Ryan Zimmerman type hitter. He has always had great ability to hit line drives with a bit of pop and drew a shitload of walks to boot. I don't get how some guys are just so injury prone. Shouldn't their careers have ended in high school or college/minors? The Yanks are really hurting right now. Luckily Marcus Thames, Miranda, and Cervelli have all been hitting pretty well so the offense is still ok but the bullpen issues are tough. In the long run it makes me worry about Sabathia. I know he is a big guy but so is Carlos Zambrano and it looks like all those innings are catching up to him. When will it be Sabathia's turn? The Yanks have a lot of years invested in this guy. Having a weak bullpen makes him have to constantly work into the 8th inning.

4. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The Yankee injury train just keeps on going, Posada to miss 3-4 weeks with fractured foot. Does anyone know how bad Marcus Thames was hurt last night when he stepped on his own bat running to first. I can't wait to see their outfield for tonight's game.

5. dubyu tee eff

dubyu tee eff
    Expand Collapse
    Thinks he has a chance with Christina Hendricks...

Luckily Granderson is starting his assignment and should be back in a week or so. Swisher is back in there, Cervelli is doing a fine job in Posada's place, in fact add in his defense and he might be a better route than a healthy Posada. It's a good sign that the bullpen is getting back on track. I know Aceves is big but I think Mitre can pick up that role and do great in it. Robertson still needs to turn it around but Joba looked great and I'm sure Mo will get his shit together like he always does.

Really looking forward to Pelfrey vs. Hughes tonight.

6. Elset

Elset
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The AL all star voting is upsetting.

MLB needs to change the selection process so players who deserve to be there actually get to play. I wouldn't give a shit if the game didn't matter, but it does. As a fan of a contending team in the AL I don't want Teixeira playing first base. I want Morneau or Cabrera, somebody who will actually contribute to winning the home field advantage.

"Fans" are too stupid to put the ASG roster into their hands, MLB. Figure something else out.

7. erk33

erk33
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

It's just the starters, really not that big of a deal. Wouldn't you rather have the lesser talented fan favorites playing the beginning of the game, with the Morneau's and Cabrera's that are playing so well coming in for the later innings where it really matters?

8. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That's not the point, the Fans always vote for the popular players. Manny R, would have made it the year he was suspended if the league had not intervened.

However I like that the fans have some involvement I just can't think of a good compromise.

9. Elset

Elset
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The point is Tex shouldn't even be in the game at all, starter or otherwise. I'd rather have Morneau, Cabrera and, say, Kevin Youkilis and have a solid 9 innings than sacrificing 2 or 3 innings and hoping the real all-stars can pick up the slack.

10. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Roy Halladay just pitched a perfect game against the Marlins. He is scary fucking good. Imagine how many more wins he would have if he pitched for a good team for most of his career and not Toronto.

11. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

He is the fucking man..

Imagine if he didn't play for Toronto or have to always face the yanks and the sox as well as DH's?

He has the best record against those two teams out of all Major League pitchers, I think he is the best pitcher in baseball. I would love to see him lock up a Cy Young.

More games like that and philly fans might just say "Cliff Who?"

12. Ten Drink Drunk

Ten Drink Drunk
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I'm not the biggest or most knowledgeable baseball fan, but I enjoy it enough that it keeps my interest until football season starts. I've watched more baseball this year than I normally do and it's incredibly bad for my health because my favorite team is the Seattle Mariners.

The Mariners may not be the worst team in the league, but they have to be the most frustrating to watch. Yesterday they lost to a walk off grand slam by Kendry Morales, who hilariously broke his ankle during the celebration. How do the M's capitalize on the Angels losing their best hitter? By letting a 7-2 lead slip away and ultimately fall to yet another walk off home run. The M's should be familiar with this type of disappointment as they also lost two consecutive games to walk off home runs in Chicago earlier this season.

Griffy fell asleep in the clubhouse earlier this year and I can't blame him. Watching this team either puts me to sleep or throws me into a rage.

The Good: Great pitching and solid defense
    The Bad: Poor hitting
    The Ugly: Losing games they should win in the most aggravating manner possible. This team defines "snatching defeat from the jaws of victory".

At least I have tomorrow off so I can wash this game from my mind with copious amounts of booze.

13. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

14. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Galarraga of the Tigers was just got robbed of a perfect game by the ump in the ninth inning. He called a guy safe at first who was so clearly out that I think MLB will say something about it. Horrible, horrible call.

15. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That was the worst thing I've seen in the history of sports.

16. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That really sucks. MLB is probably going to throw the ump under the bus, but they can't really go back and change the outcome of the game without opening up a hell of a can of worms.

17. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was sure he had it after that great Jackson catch. I just saw an interview with the pitcher, very humble and good natured about it. If that was me I would fuming.

18. pterodactyl

pterodactyl
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

[​IMG]

Absolutely disgusting. Joyce should be fired for that. Galarraga, and all the Tigers, just got robbed of something they'll probably never experience or get close to experiencing ever again. And it wasn't even close. He is supposed to umpire behind the plate in tomorrows game. It's in Detroit...what are the odds he makes it to the game?

19. travdiddy84

travdiddy84
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I'm glad Griffey is retiring. It's good when a player realizes he can't compete at the same level and hangs it up. At least in my opinion.

Can't fucking believe the call on the last out in the game. Is there no instant replay in baseball? Do the umpires not converse about close plays or have disagreements? What the fuck? The umpire even admitted it. Poor fucking Armando.

Finally, I couldn't be more pumped about my Braves. 8 wins in a row, including a sweep of the Phillies.

20. shauncorleone

shauncorleone
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Most of us are already there. Get back to scoring 5 runs per game and even make a half-assed effort at trading for Oswalt and I'll watch every damn game.